Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Why are Yamaha's so stinkin unreliable?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are Yamaha's so stinkin unreliable?

My banshees not very reliable either, not being bad on my part, but something small always seems to happen at the worst times. So far, the only thing bad thats happened to my 300ex is the bearing carrier broke cause a rock got hung up between it and the rear sprocket.

Old 04-07-2004, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

my raptor rolled at 60 mph on serated concrete for 250 feet and all i had to replace was one a arm and tie rods and ends other than that it was fine my raptor is pretty reliable

Old 04-07-2004, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

Dakota 318,

Having 91 hours on any quad without a problem is not a measure of quality. I would expect ANY quad to give me 91 hours of trouble free riding before something craps out, barring crashes or any rider induced failures. I ride my quad infrequently compared to the what I have heard the riding habits of guys on this forum. Yes I ride my quad hard but its an off road atv. The amount of failures on my rappy is unacceptable compared to similarly ridden machines. I dont want to come across as a yammy basher. I love when the rappy is running well. I can afford to put up with the frequent repairs because I have the cash. If I had to have a reliable quad to ride due to monetary concerns, I would definitely not own a raptor.

Old 04-07-2004, 12:46 AM
Trailblazer

I have never had a problem with my Yamaha. You may think yamaha is unreliable, this is because they are leading the atv industry, so honda just fallows in there steps fixing yamaha's pionering misteaks.

Old 04-07-2004, 08:03 AM
Range Rover

When I bought my 02' Grizz real tree camo, to me it was the top of the line bike. Best looking and I thought I had the most powerful utility going but I was wrong. It would boil gass and cut out, broken cv joint's, plastic floor boards broke crossing over log's, cuts out in deep mud, cold natured and the list goes on. I work with some rapter guy's and yes one had to rebuild his tranny. I had an 01' wolverine and it was realy tuff except for the stock tires sucked always had flat's. But where i'm going with all of this is that I think that the old school yamaha's were great but the new one's are made cheep and are of poor design. Get a prairie 700 and you will have a sport atv and a work atv all in one. only my 2 cents.

Old 04-07-2004, 09:54 AM
Pro Rider

The ol' Blaster is still goin strong, 4 years and shes still kickin' no problems yet.

You gotta remember. . A quad is only as good as the work that goes into it.

Old 04-07-2004, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

I feel dumber just reading this topic[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 04-07-2004, 12:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

speaking of kawasaki. I put 9 ofem on the trailor last saturday night, at the dirt drag with my grizzly lol, all built vforces. now they were faster. but not near as consistant .Ive had good and bad luck outta my yamahas, but i race them on saturday night ,and ridem in the trails on sunday. for the most part ,they do great.now kawasaki on the other hand, gave me nightmares. i owned 2. a 220 bayou, and a mojave. and they were constantly broke. i never raced them though, they werent fast enuff.my theory on bikes is. if its the very first year the bikes produced, wait a year or 2 for them to get the bugs worked out. new quads have all kinds of bugs the first year or 2.

Old 04-07-2004, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider

The starangest thing about this post, is that the "Warrior" is the most reliable quad Yamaha makes. alot of folks use "bullet proof" to describe this quad. i'm stopping short of calling it "the most reliable quad" in the industry. it is definately one of the most reliable.

Old 04-07-2004, 02:40 PM
Range Rover

I wouldn't call them bulletproof but if mainted they get close i'm just now rewiring the starter (wouldn't start,button fried,new
clutch couldent handle the power, and now nuetral is non-existant while it's running)
but yeah otherwise bulletproof.

Quick Reply: Why are Yamaha's so stinkin unreliable?