Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

learning to jump

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 01:10 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default learning to jump

hi all. its your friendly newbie, i have a couple of questions jumping. first when you guys that jump and get big air, do you just hit the jump without letting off of the throttle? i have been getting near the toppest part of the ramp, letting off and then hammer the throttle as i am leaving, is this wrong? also i get kind of scared on bigger ramps. i know alot of jumping is weight shifting and control, but i was just trying to get an idea of learning to jump, thanks for any help

Old 04-08-2004, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default learning to jump

Heres how I jump...dunno if its right...

I approach the ramp (different gears depending on the ramp) at about 3/4 throttle....I stand up as soon as I get to the beginning of the jump, and cut the throttle down to 1/4 or less.....Still standing, I quickly give it one last punch.....when I am in the air...I tend to stay stright kind've leaning back a little...then on the landing....if its flat, lean back to prevent from flipping...if its a smooth landing, I shift my self to how it is postioned....landing witht the rear tires first...another good Idea for long air time is to but u rear all the way back and l have your back at around a 35 degree angle....sounds weird and hard...but it works..

But then again...I do own a Warrior

Old 04-08-2004, 05:45 PM
Range Rover
Default learning to jump

Here's something I copied off a website a while back. Not sure where so I can't give credit. Hope it has some info in it you'll need.

So, have you ever seen any of those jump videos and wonder just how they can make a three hundred pound ATV fly through the air with virtually no effort? Jumping an ATV can be some of the most fun you can have while riding. But many people don’t understand the mechanics of what is going on with themselves and their ATVs. And the not-knowing part is what frightens most people. As well it should.

The concept of jumping is like learning how to walk for the first time. You just don’t get up and run a marathon. The same goes with jumping. You don’t go out to a supercross track and go for the triple. You need to start small and work your way up. Here are a few helpful pointers that might help you get on your way to catching some major air—and, more importantly, landing safely.

Okay, first things first. Make sure your quad is in good working order. Look at your tires, wheels, shocks and suspension and make sure everything is tight. Now make sure you have all of your safety equipment: helmet, boots, goggles, gloves, chest protector, long sleeve jersey and anything else you can think of. You are going to start out small, so you don’t need a jump with a downward sloped landing. Start out by working on is the approach. You might say to yourself, "Well, what does the approach have to do with jumping?" Everything, Evel. For instance, you never want to hit a jump while sitting. If you tried this method you already know why not. But for those of you who don’t, your rear shock will compress and fling you off like a catapult. Instead, select a small jump without an aggressive lip—otherwise you’ll fly straight up into the air. A smooth ramp-like take off would be best. Keep steady on the gas and start out slow in the attack position—that’s where you’re not standing all the way up but not sitting down either. Your arms should be bent, elbows out. This should not only help absorb the landing but also help with the impact of hitting the face of the jump. As your front wheels approach the face of the jump, blipping the throttle will help keep the front end of the quad up in order to make a safe landing. After you feel comfortable with that, it’s time to move on to bigger and better things.
PUT IT ON THE TABLE
If you have access to a racetrack, one of the best types of jumps you can practice on is a tabletop. A tabletop is a jump that consists of a take off and a landing. But, unlike a double jump the middle is filled in. This type of jump is not only a safe way to learn how to land on the down side of a jump, which will help you when you get ready to attempt double jumps later on, but it will also teach you timing. Once again, approach the jump with a smooth and steady speed. Blip the throttle and see how close you come to the landing. For the first couple times, it’s better to come up short then to go flying past the landing and smacking your face on the handlebars.

LANDING WELL IS A
LEARNED BEHAVIOR
Based on your first couple of jumps, you should be able to judge your speed to make a perfect landing on the down side of the jump. As you become more comfortable with your jumping skills you now can start thinking about landing front wheels first. If you are a racer, it will allow you to get on the gas faster and carry momentum for the next obstacle. Landing front wheels first has to be done with care. If you land with the nose of your quad too far down, you will be in for an ugly surprise. There are two ways to achieve this. Pressing down on the rear brake will stop the momentum of the rear wheels, bringing the front wheels down. The other way is to manually push down on the bars, which will also bring the front end down. A combination of both can be used depending on the jump, speed and position of the quad while it’s in the air. If the front end is too low and you think you might go over the bars, don’t give up hope just yet. Holding the throttle wide open (also known as a panic rev) will help speed up the momentum of the rear tires, bringing up the front end.

DOUBLE TIME
After you feel comfortable with these techniques, you can start thinking about your first double jump. Once again, start out small. Your body will thank you in the long run. Assess the takeoff, the space in between and the landing. Hit the jump and try to land with the front of the wheels at the base of the landing of the second jump. This will help with the timing you will need to get over the two jumps safely. After feeling comfortable with your test runs—and only if you feel comfortable with your test runs—it’s time to go for it. Just like all of the other jumps, hit the takeoff with enough speed to take you over the landing. In this case, it is better to overshoot the landing than to come up short. Only then do you want to attempt landing with the front wheels first.
As anyone who has ever seen someone sky a quad, jumping can be a lot of fun and it can make you a faster, more confident rider and racer. Like the rest of you, we can’t live without air! Practice enough to master the few basic techniques we’ve explained and you’ll get your fair share of air and plenty of happy landings.

Old 04-08-2004, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default learning to jump

since youre not very experienced, when landing, try to stay off the gas...if you hit the ground with the gas pinned by accident you might to a wheelie and fly off the machine