Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

660 Grizzly Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 08:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 660 Grizzly Questions

Hello, just purchased my first quad a 2004 Grizzly what a machine. I have a few questions hope someone out there can help me. What brand of oil are you using and why. I'm considering using Valvoline, Mobil 1 synthetic, Yamalube, maybe even Klotz or Amsoil. Is there a problem using synthetics? Any good service manuals out there? I was watching ATV Television on the Outdoor Channel and repairmanual.com ran a commercial, there manual lists for $60. They say it's the same one yamaha mechanics use. I'm confused as to when to have check my valves to make sure they are set properly. The mechanic where I bought the quad said not to worry about it untill 1000 to 1500 miles. Then I've read on here to do it much sooner. The owners manual says 20 hours or 200 miles, should this be covered under the warranty? Would a repair manual show me how to check and adjust my own valves? How should I break in the machine? The mechanic told me to ride it like I stole it. I know I have more questions but can't come up with any more right now. Thanks for any help.

Old 04-12-2004, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

watch the synthetics, some of them have "Friction Reducing Additives" that are bad for the clutch, look on ebay for manuals, i have found service manuals on ebay for 20 bucks, debating buying it for my bb, the service manual would tell you how to adjust the valve clearance, i wouldn't reccomend "riding it like you stole it" during break-in, in the owners manual there should be break in instructions.

Old 04-13-2004, 12:04 AM
Trailblazer

I'm running Amsoil Synthetic 0w-40 made for ATVs, etc. No additives in or taken out that will effect anything... It's great stuff. A little pricey but it's all worth it if you ask me. Also, i have the PDF file of the service manual. It's the same thing as the Dealer manual. I got it from a buddy of mine, from the dealer cd. It tells you everything you would need to know. I also have the parts manual with all the part #s. also courtesy of the dealer cd.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-13-2004, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

I would get your valves adjusted as per the owners manual. If there is a problem and you leave it until it is out of warranty then it could get costly. The service manual does show you how to set the valves as well as the clearance requirements.The quad must be cool and you have to take the fuel tank and the front fenders of to access the cover.