Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

starting raptor w/ no key

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting raptor w/ no key

yeah so i just got a new truck yesterday and i always keep the key to my raptor in my truck (the one i had before the new one). When i drove up to PA (where i ride) i forgot to take the key out of my old truck and bring it with me. So my question is....is there any way i can bypass the key so i can still ride? We tried disconnecting the wire that attaches to the key slot and i was able to get the starter to crank the engine (using the relay by the battery) but it didnt seem like it was trying to spark. Whats the deal?

any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, warrior86

Old 04-14-2004, 07:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

No one is going to give info about this....too many quads been stolen

Old 04-14-2004, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

The wires from the key need to be jumpered together and this will work like the key is on. Don't forget to unhook the jumper wire or your battery will go dead.

Old 04-14-2004, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider

No worries Brad mine is insured by Smith & Wesson.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-14-2004, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider

so the wires that come from the key have to be ripped apart to ge them to touch, is it a permanet tear of the wires or will they go back into the clip?

Old 04-14-2004, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

Follow the wires from the key down to the connector. Un plug the connector and put a jumper wire on the two wires in the plug coming from the battery. (Opposite end of the key)

Old 04-14-2004, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

will a regualr piece of wire work? and it only needs to be there to start it right, not run? like can u use a key to start it then it will run and then u turn it off with the kill switch , or do u need it there the whole time the engine is running? and will the button start work? or do u have to jump the relay

Old 04-14-2004, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not gonna say any more because if you really had one you would know what I'm talking about![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Posted by Bradracer18: No one is going to give info about this....too many quads been stolen

This is coming to mind partner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 04-14-2004, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider

i know exactly what your talking about, i just dont want my friend to ruin his quad. like cut or do anything to the wires. when we tried, we uncliped the wire at the first connection from the key, then tried connecting the relay by the battery and it turned the engine over but it didnt start. its confusing, so just with wire on the plug, connecting the 2 it will work? lol- doesnt it sound like im trying to steel a raptor

Old 04-14-2004, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

OMFG!!!! Guys, its my raptor. I think ive been on this forum long enough (more than many of YOU GUYS i might add) and if u look at my past posts i obviously own this quad. Now cut the BS. Its not stolen. In fact, i dont even want it which is why im selling it to get a dirtbike. (you can also verify my posts comparing quads to dirtbikes) i just wanna enjoy my week of riding and i cant do that when my key is 130 miles away!!!! Nor can anyone who might buy it. Thanks

Quick Reply: starting raptor w/ no key