Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

UPP Intake....35mm FCR's! SIXSIXT...ANYONE!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 09:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UPP Intake....35mm FCR's!

I got a good look at my Raptor this evening....everything is finished except the front fenders need put on, and the extension. So I will be able to pick it up tomorrow. But the stock intake boots look like the 35mm FCR's might pop off if ridden hard. So I while they haven't yet, should I go ahead and order the UPP intake boots, or wait and see if the FCR's will pop off the stockers?

BTW...this 686 sounds like a monster with the Alba pipe. It is really something else. I think I'm going to be very happy with the results, but if anyone can help...please help. The FCR's look like they need to go up on the boots just a smidge more, but when you tighten the clamps the FCR's start backing off.

Old 04-14-2004, 10:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default UPP Intake....35mm FCR's! SIXSIXT...ANYONE!

Anyone before I next day air the UPP Intakes??

Old 04-14-2004, 10:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never messed with FCRs but I think the stock boots should work.

Old 04-14-2004, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider

Yamaha660r-I do not have the fcr carbs on my raptor but i do use the upp boots with the stock carbs and they are a much more secure set up than the stock boots.

Old 04-14-2004, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

I'm curious how yours fit? I had to slightly file down my frame where the throttle is. Mine fit in very nicely with upp intakes. I think they are sweet carbs, I'll be giving it a full run this friday in Florence. Does yours have a very short throttle pull? It seems like it takes only 2/3 of a pull to go from idle to full throttle.

Old 04-14-2004, 11:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I use the stock ones and never had them fall off and it ran awesome!! Sparks did my setup and they did have like a sixtienth of an inch to go on more but never messed with them and I had them on for over 2 or 3 months before my Rod went thru the case.

Old 04-14-2004, 11:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I am going to try the stock boots. I will have the Raptor home tomorrow, and I will work with the intake boots all day if I have to. But everyone has assured me they will fit and will go on and not pop off. If I can't get it though, I can always order sunday/monday and get the boots Tuesday.

As for the fit...I have got enough room that nothing rubs. The pipe is clear, and the frame is clear. No rubbing. I have not had mine revved out yet, but just sitting and revving alittle, I can tell the throttle response is 100% better then stockers.

I will have more info tomorrow when I get her home. Looks like a day of tinkering and breaking in the Raptor. Should be a good day with several posts. I'm sure I will need alittle help here and there. LOL.

Old 04-15-2004, 02:24 AM
Pro Rider

I used the stockers, just tighten them down REAL good and make sure they are in there all the way, don't want to suck air and dirt in that sweet motor[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-15-2004, 03:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

This thing sounds awesome. I can't even sleep because I can't wait to go get it. I have a couple things to do before I can go over, but around noon I should have the 686 sitting at my house in the 70 degree sunlight. I will tinker with the carb's if I have to. But I'm sure I can make them fit. If there is any doubt, I will rush delivery the UPP Intakes. So I will keep everyone updated....It's almost time......starting it today was a big jump...and tomorrow/today is the day. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-15-2004, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider

You can make the stockers a little tighter by removing or thinning the clamp spacer. If your boots are not yet ported to the head, break out Mr. Dremel and port them with an 80 grit sanding drum. Smooth radius and it's OK to go into the metal. I added a vacuum gauge fitting to the left stock intake boot and then learned it was not worth the potential leak so I replaced the stockers with UPP. Better boots for sure but the stockers are fine if you improve the clamps.

Congrats on your new motor, I'm jealous.