Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

??about dyno jet???????

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 03:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ??about dyno jet???????

I guess what I'm saying is that 140 DJ would be the same size as like a 155 mikuni, (that's not the actual conversion, but for example). The different brands of needles have different tapers. For example the stock needles have the least taper, the DJ are more tapered, and the GYTR are intermediate taper. A lot of people say you can't run DJ needles and mikuni main jets, but I've done it, and there is no reason not to. You can get whichever brand you want, but I think you are way lean right now. The was post a few weeks back that told actual conversion sizes between the two. You may also want to consider getting 25 pilots.

Old 04-15-2004, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider

I'm runnin 160/165 mains with a DJ needle. Runs GREAT! It's really hard to jet using makuni jets and a DJ needle, so be careful not to jet it to lean and not notice till to late. I recently tried 165/170 and it made my mid range WAY to rich, the top end seemed fine but it babbled a ton at just before 3/4 throttle.

Old 04-15-2004, 06:02 PM
Trailblazer

When people post jetting numbers, it gets "really" confusing to alot of people,
because people never say DJ jets, or Mikuni jets.

Bigbubba just said he runs 160/165 with DynoJet needles. But is that Mikuni mains
or DJ mains ?

From what I have dug up from hundreds of jetting posts - it "seems" to work out this way...

If your using DynoJet needles and "Dynojet" Mains. Your jets "numbers" will be 15+ numbers
lower than Mikuni jets with stock needles. For instance... if your running 160/165 Mikuni jets on stock
needles, you would be close to running 145/150 "Dynojet mains" with "DynoJet needles". (146/148 is close)

Right now my 686 listed below is running 170/175 Dynojet mains, on DynoJet needles. This in my
understanding is similar to running 185/190 or 190/195 Mikunis and stock needles. You would probably be slightly
higher with no airbox and adapted filters.

Mine is running great, and has no stumbles or flutters, and pulls hard to the top. I havent gotten a plug
reading yet - but will report when I do. I also run bigger needlevalve assemblies in the carbs just to keep
the bowls filled. The recommendation for jetting after my build was 190/195 mikuni with stock needles. So
I improvised the DJ mains and went from there.

If anyone sees a flaw in my judgement, please say so. Im surely no expert. Im just using the info I can find. I just
think you can get really close this way.

If you mix Mikuni mains with DJ needles... I see no reason why it wont work, BUT - the numbers are not going to be
typical numbers - your Mikunis will end up smaller sized than "completely" Mikuni jetted folks, because of the thinner DJ
needle letting more fuel by.

Damn, I can see why it gets confusing !! Someone should make a jetting comparison chart NOT just for jet size differences,
but with their respective needles being used. Like DJ main "x" + DJ needle = this flow , compared to MIkuni main "x" + Mikuni
needle = this flow. The charts comparing size to each other does NO good, because the needles are different too.

Ok Im done. Please add to this discussion if you have any info ! Post like these are the only thing I had to help when I did it.
Im sure it helps others.

Old 04-15-2004, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

whats your elevation?? what all work do you ahve done to your raptor and you are running a dj jet and a dj needle right?? should i be worring about other jets besides mains/? thanks

Old 04-15-2004, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry...Makuni mains, DJ needle, stock pilot. Runs perfact and has AWESOME power.

Old 04-15-2004, 09:02 PM
Trailblazer

Oh, to answer your question Pinheadedjoker,

With your setup, Id say that if the recommended jetting you wrote, 165/170, is Dynojet Jets, then it
should be close. Above I mentioned mine, with similar setup. 170/175 Dynojet Jets and Dynojet Needle.

I may need to adjust up or down a size, but its running so good right now, that Im betting its close.

Give it a try and do some plug chops and let us know how she looks. Also make absolutely sure you run
high enough octane fuel to go with your build. The JE 11:1 piston isnt really 11:1 actual compression when
in action. Its closer to 12.5:1 - So for that reason, Id recommend at least a gas that has a "motor" rating of
105 or so. Octane rating is usually higher than its actual motor rating.

No matter what your jetting, if you run to low of a fuel, your piston will be hurting !

Old 04-15-2004, 09:49 PM
Range Rover

I run dyno jet in two raptors. Assuming you ride at little sahara, I run 146/148 main jet and 25 pilot. This is a tad rich. But I'm only a 101mm bore. I've had very good luck with dyno jet.

Old 04-15-2004, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

yes i ride at little sahara i was up there during easter and didnt get to ride much.. jetting issues.. .. i have the dyno jet kit needles and all sounds like you know what you are doing.. what woudl u suggest for my setup 102mm 11:1 je piston stage 2 hotcam port polish k/n and soon k/n pro design and stuff what would your run thanks for your help im just trying to get an idea on wehre to start with jets.. cause they are like 4 b ucks a piece
and do you know the ratio between mukini and dyno?? like dynos 142 is mukinis 150? i dont know do u ? thanks