Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Pictures of the carnage (JE piston)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 07:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pictures of the carnage (JE piston)

I feel the pain. But because of this forum, and everything that you guys post I got a Ross 11:1. I hope the Ross doesn't have a problem. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 04-18-2004, 08:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yes, I can get pictures of the head and plug. There's other Raptors on here that have an identical type fracture in the same spot on the 11:1. Mitch where are you with your picture of Sams quad? LOL

Old 04-18-2004, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

For some reason JE piston are not good on the raptor even though you set up the timing right,valve right and so on.... I am glad I took mine out of stock bore of 11 to 1 changing to Ross piston of 102mm.

I know J/E make good pistons, maybe quailty control issue, was made in USA or out of country? For some reason not on Raptor... IMO Not trying to start a flame war on this.....

Old 04-18-2004, 08:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I disagree I think it forms a crack and then burns thru. Pic coming up. Detonation will usually be peppered mostly towards the outside of the top of the piston next to the rings.

Old 04-18-2004, 08:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't think a link to imagestation will work on this site. piston

Old 04-18-2004, 09:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BartlettRacing
imo thats definitly detination .......look into bad timming chain/ and the flywheel key ... your ignition timming is probly off ..... the hole will burn then the piston will crack and fail ........
Rod went threw the cases, then this build to a 686, new timing chain and keys all the way around the quad, including the flywheel key. Less than 2 months later, the first piston let go, now this one.

Mitch, send the picture to me, i'll get it up. Here's a pic of the head and plug, I'll try and get a better pic of the plug.

Head and plug pic.

Old 04-18-2004, 09:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

I think BartlettRacing is on it. I just looks soooooooooooooo classic. I don't want to say that I would bet my life on it, but I'm VERY sure somehow that engine was detonating. Why is the puzzle? But I think at this point I would take BartlettRacing's ideas and look at everything that had to do with timming VERY closely.
Do you have a real loud pipe on this thing? If so, I know I can't hear detonation until the piston falls off the rod!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
Pistons just don't get holes in them by being made poorly. This I do know for sure!!!!!! You can see where the thing was heated up on a pin point by detonation, and then the cracking started. This was a tunning issue for sure.

Get me some pictures of the plug and head, in REAL good light with real good closeups. Then I will tell you if I will bet my life on it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-18-2004, 09:10 PM
Range Rover

I had the same problem with a je piston. It was 11/1 101bore, I sent it back to je. They told me it was denotation, but sent me a new piston. Those pics look like denotation has occurred, but the cracks are cause by flex.

Old 04-18-2004, 09:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BartlettRacing
100% detination!!!!!!! look at the head ...... ignition/timming... 100% sure
What do you see on the head that tells you that? TIA

Old 04-18-2004, 09:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

E-mailed you a couple of pics.

Quick Reply: Pictures of the carnage (JE piston)