Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

how much of a horsepower gain going from stock raptor carbs to fcrs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much of a horsepower gain going from stock raptor carbs to fcrs?

I am trying to decide if i am going to have my raptor or my ds baja built and if i go with the raptor how much of a performance gain will i see with the fcr carbs over the stock ones?Right now i have a mild built 686 which includes 102MM 11:1 PISTON,FMF PIPE AND HEADER,PRO DESIGN AIR FILTER so will the fcrs be worth the money?I would like some opinions on the improvement i would see going from what i have now and adding just a 12.5:1 piston with a low end /midrange cam without the carbs and would the increase in performance with out the carbs and just adding the cams and higher compression make a considerable difference?If i stick with the stock carbs and go with the 12.5:1 and the cam i mentioned what would be a good starting point for jetting at sea level with mikuni mains?I am anxious to get this going because i have the extra cash set aside now but i dont want to spend the 800.00 or 900.00 dollars on the fcrs if they dont make a big difference.Thanks in advance for any responses.

Old 04-21-2004, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider

I dident need them , i got the stock carb upgrades from craycraft and they worked just as good and were alot cheaper, ALOT...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

I also beat some bikes with the same build but they had FCR's and i was stock carbs up the hills at dumont,Glamis, ..

I wouldent mind having them but i couldent tell the diffrence and i have rode a raptor with some also for comparison.

Old 04-21-2004, 02:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have heard you can get a gain anywhere from 1-5hp on the FCR's depending on other mod's. I can definetly tell you that I love mine, and I'm glad I avoided fighting with the stockers and trying to get them tuned in. It definetly wouldn't take much more work to your Raptor to get it running good. The FCR's would definetly help if you raised compression and got a more aggessive cam.

Old 04-21-2004, 08:55 AM
Pro Rider

The FCRs may produce more HP down low but I haven't seen or felt any improvement at the top end with 35mm FCRs. The bottom end alone is worth the money, instant throttle response. The FCRs are better in the rough stuff, the slide doesn't bounce around like the stock CV carb. If I were you, I wouldn't look at anything but 39mm FCRs. Compared to the jet sizes I was running with 35mm FCRs, I understand the 39mm carbs flow a heck of a lot more air.

Old 04-21-2004, 10:32 AM
Elite Pro Rider

that is also a upgrade to the baja so if there the same carbs you could switch if you didn't like them on the raptor

Old 04-21-2004, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider

I've rode about 6 hours on my FCR's, they definitely added power everywhere. The low and midrange is insane compared to the stock ones, and they screamed on top too. I haven't even touched the jetting, and they run better than the stockers ever have. Before, I didn't have much power in fourth and fifth, now its pulls real hard in the upper gears. You can just putt up hills if you want, or short shift and it will pull hard and not bog. If you got the $$$ get them, but I've heard modified stockers run well too. JMO

Old 04-21-2004, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

I really like my 35's.......the only reason I got rid of them is for some 39's...........
they gave my raptor TONS more lower and midrange grunt.....
and the throttle response is unbelievable.....

Old 04-21-2004, 01:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Yamaha660R
I have heard you can get a gain anywhere from 1-5hp on the FCR's depending on other mod's. I can definetly tell you that I love mine, and I'm glad I avoided fighting with the stockers and trying to get them tuned in. It definetly wouldn't take much more work to your Raptor to get it running good. The FCR's would definetly help if you raised compression and got a more aggessive cam.
I had a couple of bike lengths over my Sparks moded stockers with the FCR's but remember, if you go to the FCR's be sure to add an aftermarket rod, thats something that may caused my rod to go.

Old 04-21-2004, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider

Why would carbs have anything to do with your rod going out?

Old 04-21-2004, 02:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well, thats the only thing Sparks and others pinned it down to.

Quick Reply: how much of a horsepower gain going from stock raptor carbs to fcrs?