Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor 50 First race (couldn't finish)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 05:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 50 First race (couldn't finish)

Originally posted by: Eceriderjbomb
45 mph on a lt 80 noo wayyy video? i dont doubt it but id likr to see it
Me too cuz my 125cc goes just about that WOT.

I am not saying you cant make it but who would be willing to dump that kind of money in a lt80 for the engine to perform at that speed?

Old 04-28-2004, 11:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Look guys let's end our childish who goes faster pi$$ing match and get back to the topic. Modifying the raptor for speed, but just to clear things up, everyone keeps talking about the throttle screw. Well all this will do is limit the amount of time it takes to get to top speed but NO MATTER WHAT the raptor 50 is done at 15 m.p.h. this is strait from yamaha not a bs rumor so in my opinion if you got 3,000 to spend on a small quad buy 2 e-tons or something. These things are the wort piece of s*&t yamaha ever built.

Old 04-29-2004, 09:15 AM
Pro Rider

I believe that the Raptor 50 is a good alternative for those looking to either buy a powerwheels battery powered toy or a small gas powered quad. Other than that they aren't good for much else.

Our LT will run 45. (only checked against the speedo on my sportsman) And it doesn't take much to get them to. Remember, it will run a little more than 30 completely stock, so 15 mph more isn't much. Ours has a FMF fatty, Boyseen reeds, Uni filter, rejetted, and milled head. (all in all about 300 bucks) I also put a 12 tooth front sprocket on it. (10 is stock) Thats it. I switched the stock tires with some baby Holeshots and they are not as tall, so the speed droped off a bit. Trust me, I have a hard time keeping up with my sons on my SP500H.O. And I'm thinking of putting limiters back on both of theirs so the don't have to wait on their old man.

Old 04-29-2004, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider

Racingfamily,

It sounds like to me that you did not do your homework before buying your kids quad. If you had you would of found out that the Raptor 50 or 80 are not speed demons. They were meant to be learning bikes then move up to something bigger and better. Just because it says Raptor does not mean it is anything like its daddy the 660.

I did my homework and I was leaning towards the lt80 but I was worried it might be too much for him starting out, as kids have to learn their motorskills and I did not want him going 30 to 40 to start out. My little guy is only 4 and the 50 fits him pretty good, he does sit uptowards the gas tank and it effects his handling but he did catch on fast. As for it only going 15, that is nice speed for running the trails and watching the world go by, just keeps it in perspective that is not how fast I am going but that I am out with my kids and they are enjoying themselves.

I remember a outing last summer and we just drove out to the dunes to go for alittle jaunt on the big quads and there was this guy out there with his little boy and the kid was tired from riding and wanted to play with my boys Tonka trucks that I had brought along for him and his sister to play with when they got tired of riding. Well, this guy was screaming for him to get back on his quad and go further. I explained to him that was uncalled for and he should get a grip before he turns his kid off from the sport.

Sometimes as parents we forget it is not the quanity of miles or if we finish the race first but it is the quality time that we spend with our kids, afterall they grow up and you will not have those times anymore. I love to go out with Christopher and we ride till he gets tired then we stop and he plays in the sand or mud and I just watch him having fun and that is what it is important to me, enjoyment of the day. Oh, we only put on 10 miles or so and one time we only rode 6 but later that night or even later in the week he talks about how he went fast or how he climb that hill or how deep the water he went thru and my wife and I just smile.

As for 3 grand to throw away I only paid 2 thousand for his and when we are done with it his sister gets it and after she is done riding it will be around 6 years old and I figure 2 grand is well worth all those memories.

If you do a search on here you will find that there is not much to do to fix the speed problem. This one topic has been hashed and rehashed quite a bit and the outcome was the same. Sorry that you are not enjoying it but I hope you and your son find one that will do what you want and have some fun with it. AlaskaBoy.