Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor 50 First race (couldn't finish)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 12:05 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 50 First race (couldn't finish)

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]My six year old ran his first moto today on his 04 raptor 50 the track was a disaster, mud 6 inches thick, it was tough for me on the yzf 450, but his bike would even move after about twenty feet. It didn't have enough power to even spin, i am severly dissappointed with this bike, someone has to have a idea on how to modify this quad. even at home on dry ground it is very slow. i bought it for him to ride`with me but this would make for a boring day. any help would be great.

Old 04-26-2004, 12:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Those small quads arent made for that. They are mostly for flat terrain. I would suggest a Raptor 80 but then again you might be in the same situation. I got my son a yamaha 80 when he was 6 but then in two weeks of riding it I didnt like it and either did he. I went ahead and got the yamaha breeze and that quad is not that much of a difference but at least he can pull his own now. He is 8 now and still enjoys that thing.

Old 04-26-2004, 10:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

I didn't really buy this bike to race, but I do and he wants to go. they have a 50cc quad class there. he goets smoked by the other kids. dinli,alpha sports etc. I would just like to know if I can get any more power or speed out of this thing in any way it's a real dog. I looked at many cheaper quads before I bought it but I guess I just overpaid for the yamaha name like I said I am very dissappointed. I think I may sell it I don't eveny want to pass it on to my youngest boy.

Old 04-26-2004, 10:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well if you want, do a airbox mod, take out the muffler core and rejet. That should wake it up.

Old 04-26-2004, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

I bought my little girl a Raptor 50 when she was 3 now she is 4 and loves the thing. I weigh 250lbs. and that thing pulls me around no problem with the throttle screw turned all the way out. When she gets on it I have the screw out only showing a few threads including the nut and she flies around like nothing stopping her, also she runs around the track with no problem on dry or muddy ground. I have heard there is a restriction in the exhaust but have no intention of taking it out yet. Make sure the throttle screw is out where you want it or all the way out and it should have enough power.

Old 04-26-2004, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

The Raptor 50, 80, and Breeze are dogs. You would be much better off with an LT80 or the Honda 90. Those quads at least have a motor in them that will scoot them around. Plus they have restrictive mechanisms to cut down on the
top end speed until the kids are experienced riders. Sell the 50.

Old 04-26-2004, 11:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

I posted this in another place but, i'll say it again. Yamaha created this quad to have a top speed of 15 m.p.h. so no matter how heavy,how old how big the quad cuts out at this speed. you can cut the slide in the carb,rejet,repipe,and modify the air box with a k&n which will kick up the holeshot but, at 15 m.p.h. it will cut out. I want to try the cdi from the 80 but dont know if it will work and I'm afraid of what will happen if it don't. I looked at a 90 polaris today but I really want a four stroke because I want to hand this down to my other boy. I'm gonna make these mods to mine this weekend, I'll let you know what happens.

Old 04-27-2004, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider

Thought I would share my experience with the reliability of the LT80's. Outside of replacing the airfilter after many years of cleaning, I havent had any problems, none, with the two LT80's I have owned after 5 years of duning, desert riding, and going to the cinders. I am passing one of them down to my nephew and a friend is lined up for the other one. When my boys started riding at age 5, those things were throttled so far back, I could jog next to it with ease. Now with the pipes and rejetting, they really scoot and they still fit on the quads after 5 years. The reliability has been exceptional. So has the maintenance. I highly recommend this quad to guys in your situation. I put the wider turf tamers on the back and hogged out wheel spacers for the front +2.5 per side and they are very stable.

Good luck with the Yammy 50 and let me know if that cdi mod wakes that quad up.

Old 04-27-2004, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider

I second selling it and buying a trx 90 or lt 80.. The lt 80 has mods that your son may love to do also.. He will feel just like dadyy!!

Old 04-27-2004, 08:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The only reason I didnt like the lt80 is because of the open area by the front of the pegs. Kids tend to get there feet everywhere and that would be a nice place to break a leg or get sucked off the bike. The Breeze however has the whole footing area covered. Plus if you want to ride it to the bathroom or where ever that thing pulls me just fine and gets up and goes. Those 80's are slow as the 50 cc bikes. Like I said before I had the smaller ones and they out grow them fast. The breeze will be his bike for years until he wants something better and faster but yes he keeps up with me on my Raptor, Z400 and the z250 when we all go ride together. I am not just putting in 1st gear on my bike like the 80 or 50 would. I am at the desert and dunes and boy he does a real good job climbing them dunes and I bet either 50 or 80 cc couldnt climb 2% of the dunes the breeze can. I am not saying your kid can go all out on the bike when he gets it, it has a throttle limiter as well and can progress to the higher speeds when you feel it is safe.

Believe me you will get bored of that bike soon. I have purchased 11 new bikes in the last 4 years and have plenty of children experience.

Quick Reply: Raptor 50 First race (couldn't finish)