Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Timmy Boy A-Arms +3 +1

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 12:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timmy Boy A-Arms +3 +1

anygood? what about TCS Triple Rate adjustable shocks with remote resevoirs?

Old 04-27-2004, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timmy Boy A-Arms +3 +1

I have chrome Timmy Boy +2+1 a-arms and they work pretty well. I am using Elka shocks with them and the travel is limited by the ball joints, not the shocks. When at full extension the ball joints are at full travel (highest angle they can go) and it does not want to steer. If you force it to steer it compresses the shocks a little bit.

Because of all this punishment to the ball joint a couple of them have worn out and developed alot of up and down play after only 6-8 months.

I don' t know alot about suspension geometry, but it seems to me that if they had tweeked the ball joint angles just a bit that they could have gotten more travel without the ball joints binding. As is I am getting about 14" of wheel travel. You will get even more with the +3 a-arms.

Also, when I get new a-arms I will get ones that DON'T move the tires forward. You may think that by moving the tires forward it will be putting the weight farther forward and keep you from wheelying as much, but if you put a scale under each of the tires you will see that this actually takes weight off of the front tires, thereby making it push more in turns and not turn as well.

TCS makes good shock. If you are buying new, I would recommend you take a look at Elka shocks. They have great customer service and I have been very happy with them. If you are buying used, remember that you will have to have them revalved and/or resprung unless they are coming off the same type quad with the same a-arms with the same weight rider. Good luck with your decision.

RR1