Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

aluminum raptor axle

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 12:50 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aluminum raptor axle

what are all of the brands of aluminum axles for the raptor?
i have a new +6 swing arm and would like to be able to use a
axle carrier that will also fit my stock axle.
any names and phone numbers would be great.

Old 04-29-2004, 04:34 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DB makes the lightest axle for the raptor with the x33. The only stronger axle is the rpm dominator, but it weighs quite a bit more. I believe team or something has cf and alum axles but they are not popular enough to be field tested.

Old 04-29-2004, 04:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Out of all the aluminum axle I know of, most will not fit your stock axle and the aluminum axle. The only one I am not sure about would be a Lonestar. Not sure about a # to get one either, but it shouldn't be too hard to find.

JJ and A make a nice alum. axle, but its a 40mm so it won't fit with your stock size carrier. JJ and A racing

MP also makes a nice looking 40mm alum. axle. I think Craycraft is a dealer for MP now too. Craycraft(817) 441-5893

Old 04-29-2004, 05:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

I am an owner of a small CNC Machine shop in California. I have been doing

some work for a well know aftermarket ATV parts supplyier for about 2 years. Almost all the

Aluminum Axels I have seen are in the 40mm bearing dia. configuration. "Drag Axels". And

most of which are more than likely made from an Aluminum called 6061-T6. I have been

approched buy some to make Axels for them and all have been for the 40mm. I'm not going

no say there are none that manufacture the "Stock" bearing size axel. But its prolly not going

to be easy. I'm pretty new to all this so bear with me I'm just tring to help you out.

First - I Think that a "Stock bearing size" is 35mm" I'm not sure excactly but I belive thats

pretty close. A milimeter is the Decimal Equvilent of (0.03937") so 35 x .03937=1.37795" .

that just over 1-3/8" at its Max. Dia. (Bearing Dia.). You have to figure there going to turn

some kinda shape in to this Axel thats smaller that the bearing dia. even if its very slight.

So at its smallest Dia. its prolly going to be 1-1/4" in Dia. or less... Thats asking alot from a

piece of Aluminum. Expecialy 6061-T6 when u consider that this grade of Alum. is about

1/3 - 1/2 as strong a a piece of steel the same dia. So your Axel even at 1-3/8 Dia. max

would be about as strong as a steel axle being 11/16" or .6875 Dia. Even going in a straight

line thats a pretty week axel. As for your everyday riding around. Well lets just say you better

have alot of money cause you'll need it to replace it everytime you hit a bump. Thats just my

professional opinion, and thats why its prolly going to be next to impossable to find an Alum

Axel in a "Stock bearing dia."

Your best solution is to replace your Bearing carrier with the 40mm "Drag Axel" as I've heard

them reffered to. And scrap the Idea of running an Aluminum Axel with the stock set-up. Its

just to week a metal for that type of application. Even 2024 or 7075 Both aircraft grade

Aluminiums are going to be qestionalble at the smaller size.

You need to ask yourself a question am I going to just "Drag Race" or am I going to

wanna go out and play ( Jumps, Bumps, and getting Side Ways). I hav'nt seen every MFG's

axle but most have a cheap _ss lil "snap-ring that keeps it from falling off if it gets loose.

notice I said falling off... Not keeping it in place, they do nothing to prevent it from slidding

ferther on... Poor enginerring if you ask me.. But there is hope.. I've been working on just

such an Axel but sorry it still wont be offered in a stock size. It will fit 40 mm only but it has

been designed to address the problems I mentioned above. when I saw my first Alum Axel

I said to myself thats F---ing crazy all that holds it on is a little snap ring!!! And ur going

how fast!!! LOL.... Its been over a year since I began this project and the original MFG'r that

wanted me to design it has sence scrapped the Idea "Its Taking To Long" I'm Sorry but my

shop (WILL NOT GET A REPUTATION FOR TURNING OUT JUNK). Good Ideas take time and

planning. Thats why Ive continued on my own. The Axle is a (Positive Drive System) on all

rotating parts. Its going to be lighter than any other Ive seen. Easier to Assemble and

Maintain. Asteticaly more pleasing I'm hiding all drive as much as possable. Safer it adresses

the issues of being able to loosen up and slipping either further on or worst of all falling

off. Its has adustments on it to allow you to tighten it up with normal wear.. and most of all

the quality on Pride more Manufactures need in todays world.. To often I hear "its good

enough farm work" or "they dont care what it looks like"....... Sorry Not In My Shop. I'd rather

go broke than turn out junk.. If I would'nt put in I my bike I would'nt expect no one eles to

put it on there's either... I dont want an Axel that goes straight I want an axel that can do

it all. from the Sand Drag to the SuperCross and be able to hold up and perform.. If you like

what you've hear E-Mail me back and well keep in touch and up dated on the progress..

when I feel its up to the standards I would want then it will be ready to go.. I want to be the

leader in Axels cause to me second best is not were I wanna be..

Old 04-29-2004, 10:39 AM
Elite Pro Rider

thought you didn't want those for riding just racing anyways.

Old 04-29-2004, 10:53 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

there is an axle that can be used for supercross and drag racing......its prolly a titanium axle[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] although titanium I think is heavier than aluminum.

Old 04-30-2004, 03:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hahaha... I thought this was suppose to be a forum where people
serious answers to questions they have... To Mr. happy Titanium
man. At about $26.00 a pound and CNC Machinining cost. I doubt
other than a factory riders no one could afford to buy one.. All thoe
you kind of close about Titanium.. Titanium is about twice as stong as
and about 1/3 heavier than aluminum.. Its most notable feature is it
ablity to with stand High Temps.. Its melting point is over 6000 degs. F
A high tensil strenth of well over 120,000+ PSI. And its also chemicaly
inert for applications in the medical industy.. The down side is its high
cost and its Machinablity.. when cutting titanium it tends to produce
a chemical reation that makes it work harden.. And the cost of CBN,
PolyCrystaline Diamond, Ceramic and other High Tech Cutting tools.

Sandman430 like I stated it all depends how well of a design the
manufaturer has. And also the grade of Aluminum used. 6061 is
basicaly a commercial grade. Easy to machine relatively low in cost
at $1.55 a pound but its tensil streath is only about 60,000 PSI.
I did mention the grades 2024 and 7075 (aircraft grades). 2024 has
a tensil streath of about 90,000 psi and 7075 about 120,000 psi.
Just as strong as Titanium but its still aluminum and has a far lower
melting point Titanium.. 2024 runs about $5.00 - $7.00 a pound and
7075 $10.00 and up.. Its all about proper design and selection of
materials that will be factors in the performance and durablity of any
part..

To all the others good points and yeah ther are some great looking
Axels out on the market.. That perform great in the straights, there
Drag Axels. Just cause there not an all around performer.. Does not
mean its it can't be done.. We'll al just have to wait and see..

I also have a few other products that I have taken on. Fuel Injection.
Possably full blown EFI. Cost of the system is one of our considerations.
I'd like to make it functional, but still cost effective so more riders can
afford it. And also a low cost, bolt on SuperCharger with fuel injection.
Its still in the prototype stage for the YFZ-450 but close.. Keep your eyes
open cause everyday were one step closer.

Old 04-30-2004, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider

What products do you have available. Seems your working on everything. I'm not doubting you, just seeing is believing. I'm always looking for good products. I would like an axle and the EFI for my raptor.

Old 04-30-2004, 11:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

For a very serious drag racer....one may look into a lighter axle, such as aluminum, because you are never going to put any stress on the axle itself and the difference between aluminum and stock, or even chromoly is probably a few pounds.

Old 04-30-2004, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

One of the big problems you'll see with aluminum in a high stress application like an axle will be stress cracking. Unfortunately aluminum doesn't have good deformation characteristics like steel. It's prone to cracking, not flexing. Unlike titanium, which has OUTSTANDING deformation characteristics. Yes, it's expensive, but only artificially so. Russia has the world's largest titanium reserves, and in that country it's pretty cheap. A guy that used to work with me was from there and he said he had titanium silverware and a titanium teapot. He accidently left the teapot on the stove for a couple of hours when he was gone and when he got back it was glowing cherry red. He let it cool off and it was good as new. Too bad those bastard russians have a stranglehold on Ti.
Too bad it's so hard to machine, too. With all the new machining technology coming up though, like super high-temp nitrides of boron, Ti products may be more attainable in the future.

Quick Reply: aluminum raptor axle