Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

686 tear down

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 02:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 686 tear down

There was one on ebay that I believe ended yesterday but no top end to it.

Old 05-02-2004, 02:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 686 tear down

Click on this Link but the only reason I think it didnt sell other than the price is because it didnt come with the top end. I believe those have to be machined together to get the cam to fit right.

Old 05-02-2004, 03:09 AM
Quad Patrol
Default 686 tear down

I would say that the guys doing the work screwed up and tried to cover it with JB weld. Why would they be looking for a new head for you ,if they weren't responsible? They would of told you to take it to Yamaha and have them give you a new head. JMHO

Old 05-02-2004, 09:58 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 686 tear down

Originally posted by: sixsixT
I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say your freind who ported the head is named Pat.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
ROTFLMAO!!! BWAHAHAHA!!!

Sorry I can't help, but that was great!!!

Maybe try and JB Weld it back up???... Its not like you can hurt it any worse than now. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 05-02-2004, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider
Default 686 tear down

OH no you must mean PatsRaptor, I would not let him touch any of my quads!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-02-2004, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default 686 tear down

yep it was Patsraptor, what's wrong with him, what's the word. he has ported some other peoples stuff and his own, as far as i know he did a good job. He just went a little to much on mine. but if you know something i dont let me know

Old 05-03-2004, 02:01 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default 686 tear down

warwgn- How did you end up at "Pats house of doom" As far as i know he has never had a built raptor just a mild one that he did. Not sure of the dyno numbers but it was nothing special. I am sorry that you are in this shape and hope it works out for you. Just because somebody has a dremmel tool is not a license to port on others heads. I never knew he was a motor builder? I thought he worked for Loomis ( the money transporters) I have seen a few guys from another web site offering to build for there fellow friends. Seems like a lot turned out fubared.

Old 05-03-2004, 02:18 AM
Pro Rider
Default 686 tear down

he only did the porting for me, I build all my own stuff, I'll give him another shot he can do the job I'll just get him to port lighter this time. I dont have the tools to tear down a head and do the porting or I would. He did it for real cheap, and he is standing behind his work, he will make it right what ever it takes. He messed up this head but we all make mistakes it's no big deal to tear it down and start over it only took 15 min to get the head back off and it wont take long to put it back on. the hardest part is setting the valve lash. At any rate I think you should cut him a little slack, it's not very hard to port a head the only trick is getting enough practice and experiance to be really good at it, I would bet you have skinned a water jacket before?? He'll get a second chance to do it, but he better not @%$&# it up again!!

Old 05-03-2004, 01:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 686 tear down

Originally posted by: warwgn
he only did the porting for me, I build all my own stuff, I'll give him another shot he can do the job I'll just get him to port lighter this time. I dont have the tools to tear down a head and do the porting or I would. He did it for real cheap, and he is standing behind his work, he will make it right what ever it takes. He messed up this head but we all make mistakes it's no big deal to tear it down and start over it only took 15 min to get the head back off and it wont take long to put it back on. the hardest part is setting the valve lash. At any rate I think you should cut him a little slack, it's not very hard to port a head the only trick is getting enough practice and experiance to be really good at it, I would bet you have skinned a water jacket before?? He'll get a second chance to do it, but he better not @%$&# it up again!!
JMO - One time is enough for me, and to me it doesnt sound like he knows what he is doing. I just wouldnt let anyone use my head for practice. Its an art to port a head just to let you know. It just doesnt mean if you have a dremel tool you can port. I have a dremel tool and I have been using it for years but wouldnt even touch anyones head even if they wanted me to.

Old 05-03-2004, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default 686 tear down

all true, but I am loyale to my friends, and he can port a head I have seen it. He just slipped up on the one, no big deal. I'm gonna try and weld it up then give it back to him to finish, I'll keep yall posted on the turn out.

Quick Reply: 686 tear down