Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

what are these green and red stickers????

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 02:28 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what are these green and red stickers????

My guess is the detuning. It probably just barely made the emissions test. Maybe it's the cam timing.

If someone has worked on both, they may be able to point out the issues. I'm guessing the exhaust pipe should make no difference. It would just make it quieter. The rev limiter, just make it not rev as high. I would think the big factors would be the jet(s) in the carb. Different carb? Timing. I'm not a mechanic so I have no idea. But those I believe can effect the emissions.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 05-05-2004, 08:52 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

didn't know IN was doin that... i sent in for the registration #'s to the IN DNR

Old 05-05-2004, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

I heard them talking about it a while back but never thought they were going to do it. Where in Indiana are you located.

Old 05-05-2004, 08:59 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

i live up enar the lake but we have a cottage in Bloomington and i got a few trails down there and i know a guy in Bedford with ALOT of trails... we rode 4 2 hours( [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] ) and never hit same trail twice

Old 05-05-2004, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

One of my friends knows a guy that lives south west of Bedford where we went riding before, but I don't know the guys name.

Old 05-05-2004, 09:57 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah, Black&RedWarrior...I wish I knew. I do know that they share cams & carbs & the WR's jetting is as lean as the YFZ's but the motorcycle has a throttle limiter that will only give you half throttle...& it's not some simple screw on the handlebar that you can adjust...you have to buy the one for a YZ 450F or grind the stock one down after you remove it from the carb. Looks to me that the WR is more emission friendly than the quad. To make a YFZ run right you just remove the airbox lid...install an aftermarket silencer..& re-jet. To make a WR 450 run right you have to install an aftermarket silencer..re-jet...grind down the throttle limiter...& you still have a red sticker bike..it doesn't make sence....but we're talking about the CA government...so I guess I shouldn't be surprised!

Old 05-05-2004, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

BlackAndRedWarrior. Thank you very much. You made it quite clear for me, thanks!!

Old 05-06-2004, 03:56 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior
Speedy, do a search on the site. It's been beat to death.

The quick version:

It's the registration system for OHVs in CA. You are required to have this. I'm not sure about private property. But I'm not sure. $21 for 2 years. My first sticker is good for about 2 years, 4.5 months. All OHV tags expire on Jun 30 (end of state fiscal year). This money goes towards the Off Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Division of the CA State Dept. of Parks for creating and maintaining recreational opportunities. blah blah blah.
Green: ALL 2002 and older machines. 2003 and newer machines meeting emissions requirements. As a *general rule* most four strokes.
Red: 2003 and newer model not meeting the emissions requirements. As a "general rule" all 2-strokes and a few 4-strokes (I *think* the YZ450 (bike, not the quad) gets a red sticker.)
Emission requirements are designated by the 8th digit in the VIN. A "C" or "3" designates that the OHV is NOT in compliance with emissions.
There has nothing to do with sound levels. That is completely different. That varies on year and type (Competition vs. Non-competition.) Though the color of sticker determines comp vs. non-comp.

As another "general rule" riding seasons in most places are six months. Pismo, has a really short green-only and long red sticker open season. Like 3 mos. green, 9 mos. red. The seasons typically are from May 1-Oct 31. Give or take a month at different places. Pismo doesn't really seem to enforce the color very much. Hollister on the other hand enforces registration, sound and spark arrestors very highly.

The Sound levels are:
Non-comp OHV
built before 1/1/86 101dbA
built on or after 1/1/86 96dbA

Comp OHV
built before 1/1/98 101dbA
built on or after 1/1/98 96dbA

Places being closed down are due to environmentalists. Not OHMVR/Parks. Parks just doesn't put up a very good or much of a fight. They fight and it costs a ton of money for lawyers (which comes out of sticker money and gas tax.). Parks is tasked with operating, maintaining and expanding parks while protecting the environment from damage. I don't envy their job. They get attacked from both sides. Most of the fighting being done on the pro-access side is by pro-access groups.

BlackandRed nailed alot of it in his reply. But let me clarify some of it; Green sticker bikes have more, not less riding time then Red sticker bikes. Red indicates a restrictive bike due to Air Quality during the Summer months. Green (must be for the tree huggers) are allowed to ride year round.

You do not have to register a quad/motorcycle in the State of Ca. However, there are some disadvantages to it!!
1. ATV/bikes cannot be transported (trailered or in back of Pick Up)on a Public Roadway or Operated on Public Land
2. So, if you do not register it, then make sure you do not take it off your property after you initially buy it. Technically, you can't even take it back to the dealer or any where else to have any work done on it. This is for the farmer/rancher who strickly uses it on his land.
3. If it is stolen and not registered, then the crime is based on the value of the property and chances are, owner will not have VIN readily available (I know from my L.E. experience) for reporting purposes and the atv/bike cannot be entered into nationwide system.
4. If the atv/bike is registered and stolen, then the crime is 10851cvc Stolen Veh. doesn't matter how much it's worth. Information is readily available and will be entered into nationwide system faster, hopefully resulting in faster recovery.
5. The fees for registering it are NOW $25. (Just sent in for 3 of my quads) This money does go back to the OHV parks. It does pay for your parks, maintenance, Rest Rooms, Law Enforcement, Future improvements and buying more land. Our county has applied for grant money numerous times and is increasing one of our parks to where it will have a 5-8 mile loop. The other park has a track that hosts M/C races.
6. The noise of the exhaust has nothing to do with what sticker it gets.

Happy Riding Lt. Dan

Old 05-06-2004, 05:30 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Lt Dan, thanks for that. Maybe I wasn't completely clear on the riding seasons.

On point 2, you can get a permit to move a non-registered bike from the DMV. Not what it costs, but as much of a PITA that DMV is, and the time it takes to do anything there, $25 for 2 years is a better deal than hours spent there.

Didn't know that about #3. Does make sense since it isn't registered.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 05-07-2004, 04:54 AM
Quad Patrol

BlackandRed, You are correct on Point 2. I didn't add that in because of the PITA it can be to do that every time you need/want to move it on the roadway. You are right, it is cheaper and hell of a lot easier to just pay the 2 yr reg. fee.

These laws can change all the time, Luckily we get our annual updates. Lt. Dan

Quick Reply: what are these green and red stickers????