Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

bad to ride hard during break in?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 04:05 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad to ride hard during break in?

If you want a four stroke to perform, run it in hard and fast. Make sure it is warmed upv first. Do not flog it down low in the RPM. If you can run it on a dyno, even better. Load it up. Things are tighter so it may run hotter. Keep an eye on temperature. If you treat it like a baby it will never perform with attitude.

Old 05-09-2004, 05:48 AM
Pro Rider

okay theres some debate on motomans break in but what do you guys think of motomans port ideas like smaller ports are better and the bigger the ports the less power they produce?

http://www.mototuneusa.comhttp://www.mototuneusa.com

Old 05-09-2004, 02:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

BURKEDADDY this is what I know about the subject.

My best friend worked on a top fueler all his life. His dad owned and campained and then later on crew chiefed for many teams. We were talking about heads and flow one day and he mentioned that they bought the latest head out with the BIGGEST ports that anybody made. I think he told me they were Johnson heads. They bolted them on expecting big power gains. They lost power. He claims that they tried everything to make power with these heads. Couldn't do it, finally gave up and went back to their old head and found the lost time. I said "come on" too big of a head in top fuel? That ain't going to happen, and your full of crap!!!!!!! He told me it was true, and he is no BS'er? So I guess even in top fuel there is such a thing as TOO BIG of a port.

Many years ago I talked to a friend that was big in the racing game. He told me that Edelbrock had a local engine shop doing R&D on a new big block Chevy head. I asked what are they trying to do? He told me that they were working on an oval port that would make more power than a rectangle port. They were doing velosity port work similar to what this guy is doing. He told me in the end that it worked out, and they did make more power than a stock rectangle port BBC head. This was maybe 15 years ago and I think that head is in production today.

Do "I" think it is possible to loose power with a big port with a certain cam grind, and pipe. Yep. Do I think it is possible to gain power with that "same" big port with a "different" cam grind and different pipe. Yep. It's all about combinations. This guy has found a combo that works with the cam and pipe he is using. Will it work on every motor, or every situation? I don't think so. To make my point, all you have to do is change the overlap or timing of the cam just a tad and it will change the whole induction mode or the engine.

To end this. I will back up and say I was wrong to a certain extent about the original question.
Could you hurt something? Yes, you could. I think the reason factorys don't want you to ride hard for the first few hours is because of manufacturing tolerances. If they get the bore a little tight, you will scuff or stick a piston. With computer manufacturing the way it is now days, this is less of a problem than ever. Personally, I want to know if I got a "Friday" quad, and have "them" pay for not getting the clearences right. And I want to do this when the warranty is still good. Some poeple will say, "well thats a **** poor attitude to have." Maybe so, but I know if I break it in hard that when the going gets tough my engine will live, if not, it's on them, not me.

One last thing. Do I think in the grand scheme of things does engine break-in make "that" much of a difference for most people. Na, not really. How many of you people race where thousands of a second can mean the difference between the first place trophy and second? Not many I bet.

Do I think having a good air cleaner on makes that much of a difference in engine power or life. "Hell ya I do." Get a good cleaner and service it regularly!!!

Old 05-09-2004, 04:01 PM
Trailblazer

No if u go to mototuneuse.com/break_in_secrets.htm they tell u to ride it like what u are going to ride it so the rings seal faster and better!!!

Old 05-09-2004, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

I didnt exactly "go easy" on my new engine, and it ran fine, but now it wont start, so I would go easy on it, and vary your speed like stated above.
Ryan

Old 05-09-2004, 04:29 PM
Trailblazer

Wow, when I grow up I want to be just like DoctorTurbo....he knows everything. Quit comparing drag cars to quads..I know, I know....an engine is an engine..well...no they're not...please stop posting your "knowledge" about breaking in engines. Did you know this? An engine runs on fuel...a motor runs off of electricity....but I'm sure your drag racing buddy enlightened you on that too, right?.....sigh.

Old 05-10-2004, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider

Main Entry: 1mo·tor
Pronunciation: 'mO-t&r
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin, from movEre to move
1 : one that imparts motion; specifically : PRIME MOVER
2 : any of various power units that develop energy or impart motion: as a : a small compact engine b : INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE; especially : a gasoline engine c : a rotating machine that transforms electrical energy into mechanical energy
3 : MOTOR VEHICLE; especially : AUTOMOBILE

Old 05-10-2004, 09:41 PM
Trailblazer

well thanx for all the rplies and i will be doing alot of drag racing with my friends and there is a bunch of long stretches and feilds so im gonna ride it hard and get more performance, but i also want to know if i dont ride it hard and i ride it easy and treat it nice, how much power diffrences will i see, am i loesing that much? and hp?

Old 05-10-2004, 09:58 PM
Trailblazer

o and also will letting the quad idle for a while help break it in? thqanx

jerry

Old 05-10-2004, 10:34 PM
Trailblazer

Take some auto shop classes & you can learn alot about what a motor is...not some encyclopedia. Please break in any new quad or motorcycle...only a dip-s#*t would get on something brand new & hammer down.

Quick Reply: bad to ride hard during break in?