Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

bad to ride hard during break in?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 11:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad to ride hard during break in?

when I grow up
Ha, ha, ha, ha, this speaks volumes!!!!!

Thanks stebob. Maybe Froooo will learn something yet??? Or not!!! Ha ha ha ha.

Froooo, from the sound of it, you must have broke your y in by idling it in the garage. Smart move, keep up the good work!!! I bet you MX it with the air cleaner off to pick up power.

Well, enough fun and laughs, I have to go fix an outboard...............are you ready.........engine!!!! Ha ha ha ha ha................................................

Old 05-11-2004, 01:18 AM
Trailblazer

Ahh..Doctorturbo...thanks for the kind words. Make sure to run that outboard wide open on freshly installed piston & rings if you happen to be re-building it...the new piston & cylinder just love a 1st date like that!

Old 05-11-2004, 01:40 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RaptorRacer1
Follow the manufacturer's instructions for breaking it in. They put the instructions in there for a reason, because they want to reduce the amount of warranty claims. It takes time for all the moving parts to polish themselves. Things will wear out quicker if you don't.

Just think - on a new car they recommend breaking it in over the first 1000-5000 miles. This is necessary to seat the rings and valves. Performance and fuel economy will suffer if it is not broken in properly.

I would like to see someone take 2 stock quads, break one in slow, one really hard and fast, and then dyno them. I bet there would be a difference.

JMO,

RR1
I agree with you on this one. I also think that gettin on it every now and again though is perfectly fine to help break in...(gotta blow that carbon out [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] )

Old 05-11-2004, 01:54 PM
yaK
Pro Rider

Well I have to agree with Moto man here........when I got my new Johnsred chain saw I didnt take it easy on it...I brought it out and cut wood! I have been cutting wood for 9 years with it...about 6 or 7 cords a year gets bucked up with this saw [and its been lent out so add more] and its held pinned, wide open for the hole time its running! This saw has never given me any troubles at all, EVER! Could I expect more from it? No>. Did i even consider takeing it easy on it ? NO>. All I ever did was not run it to long at one time at first and ran a little richer mix for the first couple of tanks!

Old 05-11-2004, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider

i just found out that it is ok, but you have to put it throug a few heat cycles and have the bike properly warm up befor you think about putting it in gear

Old 05-11-2004, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

Personally I think 3-4 heat cycles are enough to break it in with brief full throttle runs & avoid bogging it & letting it idle too long.
Also, if it isn't smoking out the exhaust, then the rings seated quickly & you can expedite the process.
I also agree that letting it warm up is crucial to long engine life, regardless of how you break it in.
I think taking it easy when breaking it in is more important to hear if any bolts came loose, like cylinder or head bolts, lol.....

The basics tells us that metal expands when heated & contracts when cools, so obviously it needs to do that a few times to settle into the sweet spot!! Just like when you install headers, after a few miles you need to retorque them due to the metal contracting & expanding but after that its ready to rip. Loose header bolts has nothing to do with atv piston & cam break in, but the metal still needs to settle before it is ready for the long haul....

Most car manuals recommend varying the rpm & that brief full throttle runs will help with longevity so the engine can handle it when you really open it up so there is a lot of truth behind the fact that the engine needs to experience the revs before it can handle them.

I know top fuel drag racers don't take very long to break in engines either, but then again, they only have about an hour between races to do so.

JMO...

Old 05-14-2004, 06:09 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: Doctorturbo
No it' not bad. Warm it up and have at it. Never had a problem.
Same here. Compared factory break in with hard break in on 2 identical 02 raptors off the same truck. Harder break in was faster all around every time.