Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Pulling Warrior out of mothballs

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling Warrior out of mothballs

I am taking my Warrior out of moth *****...and am having an issue I assume is related to the carb. I dumped all the old fuel, and changed the plugs and oil... and charged the battery etc... the problem is when starting, it will only run for a second, then dies. I never get it warmed up enough to idle or keep running.

Do you think I need to pull the carb and run some carb cleaner through it? Do you think I have a stuck float/needle valve or something? I ran it about 6 months ago, so I don't think it is too badly screwed up... but I would hate to take it down to the dealer to just have them clean up the carb and charge me $200...

Thoughts?

Old 05-31-2004, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider

That carb is so easy to clean I wouldn't take it anywhere. It has two 12mm nuts that hold it to the intake and a hose clamp on the back that connects it to the air box. When you get those lose pull the carb down so you can take off the black cover off of the side of it and undo the throttle cable and there is one screw on the carb body that hooks the cable to the carb. Once you get those out you can set the carb on a bench and remove the bowl. Take out the jets and if you cant see through them use a small peice if stiff wire and run throught the jets with some carb cleaner. Remove the pin that hold on the float and clean your needle and seat. Go ahead and remove the air screw and clean out its passege along with the other small jets mounted in the bowl. Just don't remove the bowl seal and you shouldn't need a carb kit. Put verything back together along with fresh fuel and fuel filter and you should be good to go.

Old 06-01-2004, 02:27 PM
Trailblazer

yeah you dont need to take it anywhere to have the carb cleaned its really easy (actually the only thing im confident in doing myslef) but you might want to change the fuel lines i had a small hole in one of mine and it was sucking air in instead of fuel. and you should replace them regularly anyway.

Old 06-01-2004, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks, I took a good look at them when I drained the gas.. they are fine...

Old 06-01-2004, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

yeah man, i am almost positive too, by the sounds of it the gas lines are rotted out. the same thing happened to mine too, i cleaned the carb so good, you could see your face in the metal. and the thing would still spit and sputter and quit. then i replaced the filter and the line from the tank to the carb and it cleared right up. also if you look underneath the warrior on the left side at the bottom of the carb, there is a small screw(phillips) if you back it almost all the way out, it drains the bowl and will get any dirt or particales out of there. make sure it is off and try that, it should leak gas out by the back shock wherever your overflow hose is located at. i do that after every other ride, just to be on the safe side. just back it all the way out when the gas is off and wait till all the gas is out, should not be that much. then screw it back in and fire it up. it should help too.........hope i made some sense

Old 06-01-2004, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider

ialmost forgot........if that doesnt work, disconnect the tank and clean out the bottom of there, that thing collects dirt like a genuine dust buster would.......these are just ideas and things that worked for me thats all.....

Old 06-01-2004, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks.. I'll try that..... and fuel line is cheap... so even though it looks good, I guess I'll change that too..