Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Interesting weekend. Met the guy who is better then anyone else on earth

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting weekend. Met the guy who is better then anyone else on earth

at least you got to ride with a superior person lol jk but why are predator riders so uptight you say one minor thing about a predator and you get the water works i mean get over it we all know a pred cant have 60 or 50 hp just being rejetted

Old 06-01-2004, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default Interesting weekend. Met the guy who is better then anyone else on earth

if i was you i woulda started telling that guy off, lmao dragged a piped raptor and passed him doing a wheelie with just jetting? lol i hope that guy starts ragging on people with 686 etc. so they can spank him

Old 06-01-2004, 11:26 PM
RAJ
Pro Rider

Just because the guy was a d!ck head you hate predators[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]. I run into guys all the time that think there quad is the best, until we line them up. I would love to get a pred. And as far as american made who gives a ****. They are quick. But I do not believe they can put out 60 hp stock.

Old 06-02-2004, 04:52 AM
Pro Rider

Bobeep.

I have no idea what that value refers to. Check out this web site. They seem to use that value all over to calculate HP and Volumetric efficiency.

Then for you guys getting so excited about a Predator being able to make 50HP at the crank and about 45HP at the back wheels.

If I use the same formula on a Raptor motor making max HP at 7000 RPM, the raptor will be able to make close to 60HP at the crank and about 50HP at the back wheels. The next thing you will say is that it’s impossible. I actually have a dyno report of my own raptor on a dyno. My raptor motor is stock, except for a Spark exhaust, K&N, and L&A intake adaptor with a Dynojet kit. Everything inside the motor is stock.

It made 49.5 HP at the back wheels. Here is a link to the dyno run. Another thing people also tend to forget is the amount of torque a raptor makes. It's much higher than the Predator. The raptor has a similar weight as the Predator. Giving the raptor a better power to weight ratio. There should be no reason why a stock bore raptor with an exhaust should not be able to keep up and beat a predator with the exact same mods and tuned correctly. Stock for stock, they are not even, as Yamaha restrict the raptor to much. Add an exhaust, new air cleaner and open the airbox the make the raptor breath and you will get the power. A predator in stock form is not as restricted as the raptor and they run better compared to a stock raptor.

On a track things are different, the predator was designed to be raced on the track. For track racing you should compare a Predator to a YFZ450.

PS. using the formula again to calculate the max HP of a YFZ450 running at 100% VE, will give you a HP reading of about 60 at the crank. Beating the Predator again.

Now you will ask me how it is possible to make a 439cc produce 60HP at the crank, but not a 499cc predator. Simple! Use the formula. The reason why a YFZ450 makes that sort of power is because it can rev way past 9000 RPM. A Predator motor cannot produce the same RPM as the 450.

There are two ways to make HP, its either capacity or RPM. The raptor makes power by making its capacity work for it, and the YFZ makes power by pushing out lots of RPM. To do lots of RPM, you need a very short stroke and a big bore. The predator’s capacity and stroke sits in the middle and tends to make power from capacity. That’s why its not able to make the same HP as a YFZ or the Raptor.

For some more facts.

HMF's web site claim that a stock predator makes about 38 HP at the wheels. With a new pipe it makes about 40HP. off-road.com claimd 42HP. As mentioned before, the Dyno runs I have seen in mags never claim more than 43HP.

Old 06-02-2004, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: raptormattman
Blackraptor
What pit were you at. I'll race him anyday.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
It's called summit it's about 20 miles south of Owatonna.
That would be awesome to see someone like you put him in his place. But this is the first time I've seen him there and i'm guessing he doesn't come often because he was making fun of the place saying he's use to doing 100 foot triples with his pred so the pit was really boring.

(RAJ) I said it almost made me hate Predators. Key is almost [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I still think there a nice machine.

Old 06-02-2004, 11:02 AM
Trailblazer

Freez,

Already have (thanks for the link by the way).

I tried a little algebraic manipulation to see if I could understand this
constant term and it might have something to do with either velocity
of acceleration.

I'm just too old and dumb to figure it out!

However, thanks again, this has been an interesting thread (even the
trash talking!).

Old 06-02-2004, 12:05 PM
RAJ
Pro Rider

Black Raptor, Sorry Bro.....had to reread it again...my bad[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-02-2004, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider

I am not sure about the yfz having more hp than the pred but it might. what I am saying is thats about all the hp u are gunna get from a yfz and u can make the pred have a ton more with mods.

Old 06-02-2004, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider

Where the hell is Pretoria and what the hells in the water?

awesome post Freez...Schooling people without turning into an arrogant ahole is a very rare quality. that impresses me more than your mighty wing span. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-02-2004, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

He schooled no one because all that formula means is nothing because I have the machine that proves what I say. I hate math.

Quick Reply: Interesting weekend. Met the guy who is better then anyone else on earth