Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Interesting weekend. Met the guy who is better then anyone else on earth

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting weekend. Met the guy who is better then anyone else on earth

Well this weekend was an interesting one. I was out at a gravel pit riding and there were a couple other people out there which i thought was cool because it's always fun to ride wtih new people but boy was i wrong this time.

I met the biggest pr!ck on earth riding a predator. This dude thought he was god and nothing was better then him. No matter what you've done or what you own he's 10 times better. When I pulled in he was riding wheelies out on the tar in i'm guessing 4th so he was going pretty fast with NO helmet shirt and his grab bar was missing. I was thinking boy this dude is a sharp one. It kinda made me mad too because the owner of the pit is really getting mad at people messing around on the road out in front of the pit which is what he was doing.

Man this dude didn't like Raptors he did nothing but slam my machine the whole time which made me pretty mad. He told me he was pushing 60hp at the wheels just from jetting everything else was stock on it. He said he upped the jet sizes to give it more gas 160 main i think. I'm no jetting expert but you can't get 60hp out of a stock motor with jetting can you? He wanted to race my Raptor on tar but i didn't really want to because i would have lost because i can't keep the nose down as well as you can on a 03 pred. He laughed and said he's raced piped Raptors before with his machine in a drag and rode a wheelie right past them and wasted them. hmmm. This was my favorite he also was saying he races MX with it and that dirt bikes are slow compared to him and he almost laps A class 250cc two stroke motocross bikes on supercross tracks.

This dude almost made me hate predators. I wish i would have has my 00 CR250 out there because he said he would wast it on a tar road 500 foot drag.
Or I wish someone with a Raptor was there with a longer swing arm.

Old 06-01-2004, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider
Default Interesting weekend. Met the guy who is better then anyone else on earth

dude, same thing here, i love meeting new people and riding with them but..........errogant fockers really pi$$ me off too. it seems like you always run into one or two of em in a summers time. it sux cuz it leaves a bad taste in yer mouth....such as you hating predators now.....know what i mean??????

Old 06-01-2004, 11:27 AM
Pro Rider

I hate people like that....I've met a few like that also....and that 60 horses at the wheels just with rejeting.......................................... ........total bs...........I also hate people that diss other peoples quads....In cases like that you just have to be the bigger man and let it go and ignore him.

Old 06-01-2004, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider

I have read a local mag here which had two predators on the dyno. They where piped, jetted and some other mods. Neither made more than 43Hp on the dyno. It is IMPOSSIBLE too get 60Hp with a stock Predator.

If your bike is jetted right and have a pipe you should try and take him on. Just tell him you don't like doing a drag from standstill. Ask him to do a running start in second, and you should either stick with him or drive past him.

Old 06-01-2004, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

i dunno about 60hp but he coulda been close to that. with the correct jetting with the pure polaris pipe and carbuerator adjustments u can maybe get close to that not quite 60 maybe 55-58. Also, to the guy who said the thing from the local mag about rped only gettin 43 hp that might be true is they dont know how to jet correctly and do the adjustments to the carb. I know many people on predators who try to do this and they end up with a slower less powerful quad then stock. Most people dont understand the pred motor as it is different from the honda and yamahas because it is american made. it all just depends on if they know what they are doing.
that guy did sound like a dick and if he is beating the 250A guys they really suck or they are racing in some deep sand.

Old 06-01-2004, 12:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If it were me, I would have raced him anyways. Cuz, then I would just take off as best I can and womp his but after that!! I know what your saying, this people are not all ways happy cuz they have mental problems.

Old 06-01-2004, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider

You should have raced his dumbass........

Old 06-01-2004, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider

Head027, Please tell me what mods you have on your Predator?

It is IMPOSSIBLE to make a stock predator produce 60HP, even with a new pipe, jets, carb, you name it. Here is why.

A predator is a 499cc motor and it is running a compression ratio of 10.8:1. The manual also say that the rev limiter is kicking in at 9005 RPM.

So for those who don't know? Volumetric efficiency is a mathematical formula that calculates how much fuel and air capacity a motor can breathe in and burn to produce power. It is formula used world wide to show how well a normally aspirated 4 stroke motors performs. It gives you a percentage. Meaning if a predator motor that has a 100% volumetric efficiency, it can fill all 499cc with air/fuel and burn it efficiently to produce maximum power.

If you say the stock Predator can produce 60HP or more the formula tells me that your Predator motor is capable of a volumetric efficiency of 123%. This is assuming you are producing 60HP at 8000 RPM. This means that a Predator can breathe in as much air as a 620cc motor. A normal 4 stroke motor is produces a volumetric efficiency of about 85%. Also remember that on a dyno you are measuring Hp at the wheels. Meaning that your claimed 123% VE value is actually higher, since the motor must produce about 5 to 10 HP more at the crank to overcome the loss of HP due to the drive train. Meaning the motor is most likely producing something like 70HP at the crank. This gives you a volumetric efficiency of 144%. To produce that you’re motor must be able to breathe the same amount of air as a well tuned 720cc motor. You tell me how that this is possible with a normal aspirated 499cc motor. PS. Formula one motors don't even have a VE values that high. You telling me your mass produced stock ATV motor has the ability to do this??????

The only way for a normally aspirated Predator to produce 70 HP at the crank is if it is able to produce max HP at 11 500 RPM or higher, plus it can fill all 100% of the 499cc of capacity at that RPM. Remomber that this motor has to suck that amount of air thru little valves and a carb, so it takes a very well built motor to get a VE value of even a 100%. The motor cannot handle that or produce max HP at 11 500 RPM, and the Rev limiter will prevent you from doing it to. Please note, I am saying it has to make max HP at 11 500 RPM. Not just be able to rev to that. Your red line on the bike should be something like 13 000 RPM if that was possible.

Like I said. Normal aspirated motors have a VE value of about 85%. High performance motors can get close to 100%, sometimes a little more, with special tuning and intake and exhaust pipes. Assuming a predator motor is able to produce a VE value of 100% at 8000 RPM it will only produce a maximum of 49HP at the crank. Now it will loose about 5HP or more thru the drive train and will not be able to produce more than about 44HP on the dyno.

This is fact!

The reason why people don't believe predator owners is this BS they come up with. You either have a busted up dyno, or you have a very very special motor. Something the whole world have been looking for, for the last 100 years.

PS. the motor on a predator is made by Fuji. Are you sure it is built in the USA? Sound like a Japanese company to me.

Old 06-01-2004, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider

Wow Freez, that is intense. Would you happen to have the equation to that formula?

Old 06-01-2004, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

Sure.

VE = (HP * 792001.6) / AP * CR * CID * RPM

Ve = Volumetric Efficiency
HP = Horse Power
AP = Air Pressure (use 14.7 Psi at sea level)
CR = Compression Ratio
CID = Cubic Inch Displacement. (Don't use cc, use Cubic inch)
RPM = Revolutions per Minute.

Compression on the Predator is 10.8, Capacity is 499cc = 30.46 cubic inch. The Predator will most likely make max HP around 7000 RPM to 8000 RPM. I used 8000 RPM. Ref limit is 9005 RPM on the Predator.

Working the formula backwards, you can assume a VE value of 100% and then see what RPM you need to do to make that sort of HP.

Also check out this Web Site. They will even give you the math to work out what air filter will work best for your motor.

Quick Reply: Interesting weekend. Met the guy who is better then anyone else on earth