Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Newbie...Wolverine questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2000, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah I've seen that one there for a while too. I think that it's on consignment. I don't have a clue about the warranty. I sure like to find someone local that has one though. It's a costly mistake to buy something and then regret it shortly afterwards. I know a guy in Van tx that has a couple of 4x4's for sale. HowellBike@aol.com. He's a nice guy and he usually has more than one used quad. He only takes in "like new" stuff from what I can tell. He did have a Honda 300 4x4 and a couple of warriors and a 00 Rancher 2x4 with 0 miles on it. I don't know man but that Wolverine is high dollar and I'd have to ride one first just like anything else. There is another individual I know that has a 98 sportsman 500 for sale. This guy takes good care of his stuff too. I know a lot of folks including myself that have a bad opinion of Polaris but I can't find much wrong with their newer four stokes. That's a big a$$ quad though. It would wear you out on the trails.

Old 08-03-2000, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider

Can anyone with a Wolverine tell us more about it.

In the mud. It's all about tires so what kind/size of tires will it turn. A 350cc should handle a 26" well enough. Does it do swamp mud pretty well. I know my Rancher 2x4 with 27" tri-claws on it will do some serious mud.
On trails being full time 4x4 are you able to keep up with other 2x4's.
I guess it will climb as good as the next quad.

Old 08-03-2000, 03:01 PM
Pro Rider

Rats I wish I had a program on my computer to convert a digital movie to computer format. Well they handle mud very well. There isnt anything that our neighbors Sportsman 500's have gone through that we havent made it through. Ummm to be completely honest I havent ridden with many sport quads so I cant say. Trail riding they are fun and feel surprisingly sporty especially for a 4X4. Its all in your preference ride one and see what you think yourself. They climb well. I havent even gotten new tires yet and it muds good. The deepest mud i've gone through was prolly...........rougly mud up to the skid plate and in the same spot water up to my mid shins. I have gone through a water crossing with sand bottom around the gas tank or better. (sand bottom is easier than mud) I would think especially with a pipe on it depending on your riding skill you could do fine a trail with some 2X4's
You have to be going HARD to prolly make them eat your dust but I WILL tell you who will be the one to make it through the "ugly" spots everytime in the group.

Old 08-03-2000, 04:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yea, I rode it and it seems cool. I couldn't take it out obviously but I have ridden a Warrior. The warrior seemed better out of the hole but the Wolverine can hold it's own. I think it's in good shape and is probably worth $4600. I just don't want to get screwed. When you said the Wolverine is high dollar, did you mean them in general or the one at Richardson Moto?

Old 08-03-2000, 04:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all your help guys. I just want to make the right decision. Trying to think it through instead of buying by impulse.

Old 08-03-2000, 04:14 PM
Pro Rider

I don't own a wolv but I ride with one all the time. It is a great machine, it does very good in the mud for just having 23" tires stock, it is very fast..... alot faster than my 450 on the trails and does good at the dunes, because it has alot of top end. Over all I really like, and am impressed with the wolv. He rides double with his wife all the time, so there seems to be plenty of room. I think that they are a great sport 4x4

Just my impresion.

I don't think that it would handle 26" tires very good though because it is pretty high geared...but I could be wrong...

Hope this helps

Old 08-03-2000, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

yeah see tht would be my problem with it personally. When I talk about mud I mean going out to the swamp bogg, soup hole, east Texas black mucky stuff where the rubber meets the mud. You simply have to have some big bad tires on what ever you ride. So you've got to be able to turn em. If I get a 4x4 it's because of that kind of stuff. I got mud in blood.

Old 08-03-2000, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

LOL Way to say TW! =-)

Yeah im not THAT into the mud stuff but it will definetly get you where your going and a little farther

Old 08-03-2000, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

It sure sounds like a fun quad.

Old 08-03-2000, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider

TX

hehe yea I am with you about the mud thing.... click the link below and look at some of my riding pics... I got some good ol' oregon mud around here

But I still like speed that is why I have a raptor on order

Quick Reply: Newbie...Wolverine questions