Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Newbie...Wolverine questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2000, 11:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Used 2000 Wolverine with FMF pipe for $4600. Is this a good deal? Seems to be in good shape.

2. Reliable? Will be riding trails, sand, and a little mud.

3. Can you take a rider with you?

4. Any other reccomendations?

Old 08-03-2000, 11:51 AM
Pro Rider

wow I never realized those where so high. I was tire kicking yesterday at Richardson Motorsports and I asked the guy how it compares to a big bear in terms of mudding and stuff. He didn't try very hard to sell me one and I didn't even inquire on the price. What kind of riding do you think you'll get into? We're always looking for local riders to join us so be sure and let me know when you buy ur quad. I've been real tempted to sell my warrior to get a 4x4.

Old 08-03-2000, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

oh wait I just re-read your thread and you did mention what your riding style will be. You'll pay dearly for any 4x4. And if it's full time 4x4 that may be to your disadvantage on trails and stuff. I have a lot of fun on the trails with my 2x4 quads. And the Rancher 2x4 kicks but in the mud with the right tires on the rear.

Old 08-03-2000, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider

Used Wolverine for $4600 sounds about right. Basically its a year old and your getting a grand and some change off it. Me and my brother both have one. They are a really fun 4X4. I will assume you decided you want a 4X4 and spare you that speach. They are really fun on trails. You can jump them and for a 4X4 they can scoot pretty well. With the pipe set it at low end and you can get some real good power. They do well in mud. Never driven much in sand though. Hope this helps. I love mine and wouldnt trade it for anything! (I traded the Warrior for my new Raptor)

Old 08-03-2000, 12:20 PM
Trailblazer

I paid 4800 for a used 99' in Sep. of 99. The nobbies were still on the tires. It also came with a 3yr. extended warranty. You be the judge.

2001's have a price of 5699 retail, rarely can you talk the dealer off of retail, at least in these parts.

Good luck, I keep up and frequently pass up some of the best of them. Especially in the creeks..

Old 08-03-2000, 12:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Would you reccomend a 2wd for my intended riding? I will probably never use it for towing/utility work. I'm not really into racing (yet) but want to at least keep up. Most riding will probably be on the trails/dunes but I want to be able to mud when I feel like it. Is the wolverine the right machine for me or should I go with something like a 400ex? Is there anything I should look for and how have your quads held up? Also, wanted to know if a passenger could fit on the back.

Old 08-03-2000, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider

Well depends on what "type" of riding you do. If you like to do some mudding here and there then I think a 4X4 would be for you. A utility is going to have more seat room for a passenger (just take it EASY). Plus with a pipe and stuff you can turn into a spunky/torquey machine. Take into consideration with a sport quad your gonna have a clutch to work when you have that passenger(extra weight). I think your on the right track with your decision but ultimately its going to be YOUR bike!

Trending Topics

Old 08-03-2000, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

Oh yeah forgot as far as reliability goes havent had a problem with it in the 2 years i've had it. The pipe made it run good though. And it WILL be able to mud. (I spared my passenger speech)

Old 08-03-2000, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider

you know I should probably stay clear of any direct questions regarding the Wolverine cuz I've never even seen anyone on the trails with one. I don't want to step on anyone's toes that has one. Actally I'll watch this post to see what someone with one has to say because there is one guy who said he might want to trade. I can tell my experience though. I pretty new to quads as well. I have a warrior which would compare to a 400ex in terms of being a sport quad. You can't expect to have much fun in any serious mud with them simply because of the low ground clearance. Otherwise they are great on trails and sand. The Big Bear seems to be a real good 4x4 that you can still get around on pretty well. My personal favorite is the RancherES 2x4. It is overall fun and like I said with an extra set of rear tires and wheels just for mud. You can have all the fun you want in deep mud. For a Novice that is.

Old 08-03-2000, 01:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

TXwarrior:
Speaking of Richardson Motorsports...they are the ones selling the used wolverine. Have you ever dealt with them before?

Others:
The dealership said I could purchase an extended warranty but I didn't go into details. How much should I expect to pay for the warranty? Do you think I could get them to throw it in as an incentive to buy? :-)How willing are they to negotiate price/options on a used quad? Also, I know it's been sitting there for a couple months.

Quick Reply: Newbie...Wolverine questions