Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Need technical help with my Raptor!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 01:07 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need technical help with my Raptor!

I'm pretty sure I followed your directions. Maybe it's just going to take some more fine tuning. Trial and error I guess. You can't expect everything to work on the first time with a high performance machine. Well Thanks a lot for your help, everybody.
--Rookie

Old 06-07-2004, 01:23 AM
Trailblazer

Sixsixt directions are fine.... I just did the mod this week.

Old 06-07-2004, 01:27 AM
Trailblazer

And how did that work out for you?

Old 06-07-2004, 04:27 AM
Pro Rider

I also did the clear tube method this weekend and even though I have not had mine on the trails yet it seem much better. Mine was doing what you explained but worse, even did it on flats. One other thing I found was when you check the needles after pulling them out make sure you push them down in all the way. They will click in once but they have to go all the way down into the notch, mine weren’t. Double check your float level, which is the easiest since you don’t have to remove anything. To check you needles you only have to take off the top of the carbs. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Old 06-07-2004, 08:30 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: Rook
And how did that work out for you?
it took me 2 tries to get it right

you have to be sure the float is closing and opening the valve properly (i just simulate the action of the float while I have it open,,,and I make sure it is opening and closing fully.

Sounds like yours arent closing all the way. You really have to be carefull and delicate with those little tabs and get a proper bend on them.

If you adjust them too far.,...you may run very lean,,,,and just run out of fuel all together.

Old 06-07-2004, 11:31 AM
Trailblazer

Took me about 4 tries to get it right, now the fuel level comes up to about 2mm above union point of float bowl to top half. Can wheelie with no problems (other than my own mistakes of standing it on end!)

Old 06-07-2004, 08:01 PM
Trailblazer

When you adjusted the floats, did you adjust the tabs up or down. I adjusted mine down and it didn't make a difference what so ever. I'd think that if I had adjusted them it would've made some sort of change. I'm going to re-do the clear tube check and then check on the needles. Would buying a re-build kit for it help at all, changing out all of th o-rings?

Old 06-07-2004, 11:19 PM
Trailblazer

Alright. I just did the clear tube check again, and it looks like it's perfect about 3MM above where the bowls meet the carbs. I don't understand. I took off the tops of the carbs and checked the needles and those were both all of the way in. What else could it be??

Old 06-07-2004, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

This may sound stupid but make sure the boots are tight on the air and cylinder side. Mine were loose on mine when I got it, that alone makes a big difference. New plug, good gas? Might be time to find someone local in the club who would be willing to come over and help.

Old 06-08-2004, 12:06 AM
Trailblazer

Yup, I just removed the carbs all of the way so I could get to the bowls and move the tabs for the floats, so I know the boots are on there all of the way. I'll recheck it. The spark plug was just replaced at the dealership. I'm not positive what gas is in it right now. What kind of gas do you run in yours?? I normally run mid grade. How do I find out who's in my area from the club??

Quick Reply: Need technical help with my Raptor!