Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Lot's Of RAPTOR questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 08:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lot's Of RAPTOR questions

WOW..... Check out all the havoc I started. it is good to get lots of opininons thoiugh.. I agree a little with everyone > I do think that people are just trying to justify their mods. I will not be running the quad with out a filter. STARKY You are right the only racing I will be doing anytime soon will be against my friends. But like I said it's always nice to free up the ponies. so heres what I've come up with #1 I will get a slip on exhaust. 1 hp is not going to make the diffeence for me with out engine mods. However my guess is that it is going to be much less restrictive than the stock and alot cheaper. #2 I will get that air box kit ....or fabricate it myself looks simple as opposed to having none or one with holes in it. It just seems safer to have something that flows and filters than notihng at all. which leads to this I will be riding in MANY conditions mud, dust, dirt, maybe sand so is there 1 Filter that would be suitable? or do I need 2 and ....Do I need a pre filter if I have the box lid suited with one? which leavs the jetting which ones? I am at NO LESS THGAN 5000 feet above sea level.. thanks aain in advance.

Old 06-07-2004, 09:20 PM
Trailblazer

OK my last post to this thread as well.

Houndfrog, no credible evidence? Well at least I posted some evidence not the opinion or hearsay you did!

1LimpRaptor, TEST RUN with no filter not go riding in the dunes with no filter... man o man? I am not going to argue these points again so agree to disagree what difference does it really make...search the forum for info and spend your money on what makes you happy! If you want real power buy a turbo.

Old 06-08-2004, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider

Here are some facts:
For trail riding, $1000 in suspension improvements will beat the same in engine improvements.

For wide open, MX, desert, dune riding $1000 in engine improvements will beat the same in suspension improvements.

Go with the slip on. Unless you are planning on messing with your engine internals soon the larger headpipes certain companies offer will not make that much of a difference.

For all around riding get a "ProFlow" kit with an Outerwears prefilter either over your filter or over your whole airbox.

Ask us for jetting recommendations. Do not pay a dealer to jet it for you! Learn to do it yourself and save hundreds of dollars.

Spend every single extra dollar you have on suspention/chassis improvements. Only once they are complete will you know the true meaning of FAST.

RR1

Old 06-08-2004, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider

Well Matykrak, like I said, every time someone gets a new Raptor and asks the same question you did, this happens so don't worry about the bickering. Some of these guys have tens of thousands of dollars in their Raptors and as you can see from their posts, they're way out of our league.

You and I ride pretty much the same type of terrain so mt advise is to go with the foam filter and adaptor. Get rid of the stock set-up. It's unreliable and leaks dirt and crap into your carbs. Get a slip-on exhaust. You'll notice a little more power and it sounds cool. If you want to get an idea of what the slip-on will be like, take the baffle out of the back of your pipe. It won't be the same, but it will be close until you can afford the exhaust. Don't take the air box lid off until you are ready to re-jet the carbs. You will just be doing damage to your new bike.

After you have been riding for about 6 months, come back and ask about suspension mods. You'll probably hear the same kind of bickering but you will get an idea of what it take to really get the Raptor to rip.

Have fun with the Raptor and welcome to the Forums.

Old 06-09-2004, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider

Hey man, sorry about all the chaos. A lot of these posts are good. Let us know how much you are planning to spend at first and we can give better advice to what would make the best gain for the budget that you have. The best bet though, is to start off with a slip on exhaust, air filter, and jet kit. These parts are easy to install and by the time you get used to it, you will learn from other people what they have and learn from this forum what other people are running and you can move up from there. You'll be amazed at what you can learn just by reading this stuff.

Old 06-29-2004, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

The few larger diameter head pipes help with noise. With just a slip on, going from a smaller diameter header to a large muffler increases sound output. I run a big gun full, and when I added the header(having had the slip-on first) i noticed a huge DEcrease in noise output. Being that at the same time I also increased the jetting and added the Pro-Flow system with a k&n, I'm not sure how much of a difference just the header made. The power difference is big. I still say that adding suspension components first is the way to go, so that once you get used to the power and can push the machine to its limits comfortably, then you can add power and push the suspension to it's limits. If you add power increases, then I suggest improved brakelines and pads. If you don't do this, you'll find out why you should have.

Old 07-01-2004, 05:27 PM
Range Rover

Well here is my two cents, there is little point in adding fuel (jetting) without adding air ( proflow kit) and once you have done both of them you need to let your new bigger bang out as fast as possible (slip-on/full system of your choice, they all help). Save up and do it all at once to really feel bang for your buck.
I am an avid Ebay user and found all of the parts i have ever neede on there so far to include my full GYTR exhaust system with carbon fiber muffler on there for just over $200 with shipping vs. $650 from dealer (best deal so far). Proflow kit is easy to install and rids you of the leaky stock filter which can cause carb and engine problems if not checked. You will not be disapointed if you wait and do it all together vs. keep adjusting those hard to get to jets every time you make a little change here or there. AS for gearing changes (sprockets) they are relativley easy to change. Here is the math No. of teeth on rear sprocket divided by No. of teeth on front sprocet:1.

Example: 41/12=3.41:1 ....... If you go with a higher number you get a faster take off and lose top speed and visa-versa...if you go lower ratio (higher number:1) than a 3.6:1 ratio you will be spending alot of time on your *** unless you extend your swingarm.. Just my two cents