Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Lot's Of RAPTOR questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 03:01 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lot's Of RAPTOR questions

This Tuesday I will finally be the proud owner of a 2003 LE Raptor. I will probably ride it stock for a short while just to get used to it. then my guess is that by mid summer I'll want to start making some changes. I have been reading these forums all day looking for Ideas just to get confused. SO on a limited budget what are some immediate changes I can make, with reguards to intake and exhaust. I probably wont be able to get the exhaust for a few months so .... K&N airfilter? Lid? No Lid on the box? holes in the box? Change the front sproket? what does that do anyway? Mind you I will not be Racing but riding hard and also some local trail riding. The other Kicker is I live in colorado and will be riding at no less than 5000 feet above sea level. any help would be great . I can be reached through IM too at Krakka17.
Thanks , Matt

Old 06-07-2004, 06:26 AM
Pro Rider

start with pro design kn air filter kit
then yoshi full exhaust with jet kit(instructions will show how to mod airbox with 2 circular holes)
thats like $600 bones right there but will cause you some effort to keep the front wheels on the ground[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-07-2004, 08:34 AM
Pro Rider

i wouldnt modify anything unless your getting a pipe first, if not then ur gonna have to change ur jets again when u get one and its not worth the money for those mods w/o the pipe

Old 06-07-2004, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider

Make sure to buy an air filter that includes the aluminum adapter plate, or you're stuck riding with the lid on. Just adding the filter and oben airbox will give you a little more power. Change the silencer and forget the pipe, unless you're planning additional mods. You can always change the pipe later, but the stock pipe isn't bad on a stock engine.

Old 06-07-2004, 11:28 AM
Trailblazer

Sorry to disagree with most on this forum, but I don't think the aftermarket filters do squat. I have experimented from stock to proflo to no filter and the cheapest thing you can do is cut the flaps out of the snorkle and cut 2 or 3 1.5 inch holes in the lid. This will give you more bottom end and has the same airflow IMO as a proflo.

A full exhaust reall y opens the bike up. But check out Yoshimuras web site they claim some big improvements with only a slip on, if on a limited budget this might be an option. Watch Ebay!

Check out www.ctracing.com click on Raptor link then the pipe shoot out results, that should help on deciding on a full system, power, decibels and prices. (Also make note of how many pipe manufacturers in the article recommend an aftermarket air filter)

Old 06-07-2004, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider

Contrary to what some would claim, an aftermarket air filter will make a huge difference in the amount of air your bike can intake. The use of a K&N will give you the largest gains as the flow through a cotton mesh is much lower than through a paper one.

However, to get more flow in, you have to be able to get it out. Thus an aftermarket pipe is required for more air flow over the stock setup. I fully recommend getting a pro-flow kit from Pro-Designs in order to ensure proper filtering.

Also, If you can afford it, try an air box kit from EHS Racing. Using a pre-filter like an outerwear, it allows the same flow as running no lid but with the dirt and water deflection of having one.

When you go looking for an aftermarket exhaust, there are many better than Yoshimura. Shop around. One of the best pipes for the money right now is from HMF Engineering. It shows much better hp gains throughout the curve and uses welded mounts instead of bands around the unit.

~HoundDog

Old 06-07-2004, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

Raptors have lots of power stock, especially when the engine is fresh. Buy some suspension components, or upgrades you're going to want down the road like a larger radiator, oil tank, axle, a-arms, front shocks, a rear shock. Mind you, you don't have to put all this stuff on right away. You can wait until you have amassed a collection of sweet aftermarket parts, and put them all on at once. Handlebars always make a nice difference, and are a cheap upgrade. Check out your Yamaha dealer for some GYT-R parts.

Old 06-07-2004, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider

i wouldnt suggest the yosh if noise is a problem

Old 06-07-2004, 04:26 PM
Trailblazer

OK so is it safe to assume that by just puttin on a "slip on" that that will help? is there reallly that much difference in Diameter in after market headers? also people are saying Pro-design k&n system but it doesnt look like a K&N cotton filter?? what gives? Also what does changing the front sprocket do? Thanks guys....

Old 06-07-2004, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

Simply putting a slip on pipe won't increase your performance much without the addition of an aftermarket filter and rejetting. A pro flow kit is simply an aluminum mounting bracket which allows you to clamp on an aftermarket filter. K&N filters are cotton fiber surrounded by wire mesh. There are very few differences between aftermarket headers vs stock header. I have yet to see an aftermarket header that did much good for the raptor. If you are strapped for cash, there are more profitable places to spend you money.

~HoundDog

Quick Reply: Lot's Of RAPTOR questions