Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Where to put the winch switch on Kodiak?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2000, 11:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought the 2000 Kodiak yesterday for a base price of $5150. Got the Warn 2000 winch for $69. The winch is mounted but I'm trying to decide where to place the ugly, gray switch. Anyone have any suggestions? Now I can see that a remote cord/switch would be so much better. You'd still a place to mount the remote plug. I'm planning on calling Warn to see if an adaption can be made and the remote plug could be put inside the auxillary outlet. Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks.
Cher

Old 08-06-2000, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

I put the big ugly grey switch on the left side of the rack closest to the back, on the curved piece near the shifter. Does that make sense?? It's also a real good idea to have the solenoid on a seperate switch so it doesn't come on with the key.. EG: you have to have the key on then flip the switch also. The solenoids that come with WARN are real cheap and tend to die fast if you use them a lot. I put that switch next to the aux 12V plug(in that little indentation).

BTW, Maybe if you zoom in on some of these pics you can get a better idea where my big ugly grey switch is..

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/y2kerplunk

Good luck!

Old 08-06-2000, 01:09 PM
Trailblazer

on my kodiak i put mine on the handlebars...lokks pretty good...hope this helps you

Old 08-06-2000, 01:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a Superwinch ATV 2000 and they have a nice rocker switch that I put on my handle bars on the left that way I can stay on the quad and ride to help the winch, but I can still work the winch off the quad too.You can purchase the switch kits anywhere,maybe you want to look into it.I have a Y2Kodiac 4x4 and even with the 4x4 and the winch I have had it buried it twice now.LOL Happy Trails.

Old 08-06-2000, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone has his own idea where the best place to mount the swtich might be.

I believe if I had a Warn 2000, I'd mount my switch on my left handlebar, so I could easily operate the winch from the saddle while steering with the handlebars to help get unstuck.

As to using a remote switch; forget it, unless you buy a solenoid control pack ("contactor," I think Warn calls the component) like the one that comes with the Warn A2500 setup.

As to the handlebar-mounted rocker switch, a la Superwinch, the Superwinch switch is not rated for the heavier current drain of the Warn--bad idea!

My own setup? Superwinch X2 3000 # winch with solenoid box, remote switch, PLUS: handlebar-mounted rocker switch (ain't as easy as it sounds to wire up; if anyone's interested, E-mail me!).

Tree Farmer

Old 08-06-2000, 10:09 PM
Mac
Range Rover

Quadqueen

I mounted my switch on the fender right smak in the center of the warning sticker no under 16 yr olds to ride this machine. Bought some connectors and longer cable to reach between the winch and switch. I ran the cables along the left side under the plastic tank near the shifter and up around the shifter and over to the switch. dealer didn't like my idea originally they installed it on the rack nea the shifter. Plus the dealer direct wired the winch to the battery. I don't know if this is a good idea or not but the mechanic says for past 5 years that's the way he's been doing the installation of winches. As they say above its up to where its easy to get at for your useage. for me its using for lifting my snow plow in the winter time. I wish warn would make a handle bar rocker switch. I like to keep both hands on the handlebars myself.

Mac The Red Rhino

Old 08-07-2000, 03:33 AM
Trailblazer

I did mine just like Mac did, Its out of the way yet easy to get to. And there seems to be this on going debate as to use a solenoid or not. For years I ran mine my Warn 2000 stright to my battery. One single wing nut disconected it off the winch. Never a problem with the switch or winch. In fact I might redo mine that way again. Just MAKE SURE your winch wires don"t lay on any metal edges or you well have a melt down down the road. Take clear plastic tubbing, slit it and put over your ware ares. Check these cables time to time to make sure they don't change position and rub.

Old 08-07-2000, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

Mine is on the left of front rack to the rear for easy reach. The solenoid is in the dry box under seat mounted to side. It stays clean and dry that way. I don't have a seperate toggle switch but ok so far.

Old 08-07-2000, 01:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks to everyone who offered mounting information. My husband and son both talked to Warn customer service about mounting and in the process found out the winch is not to be submersed. They both asked how that was to be avoided if you really use an ATV to cross creeks and go through deep mud holes. The front mounting, if their directions are followed, places the winch right in the thick or wet of things. So then, what good is the winch. They had no reply. The guys both told the rep. you'd hardly need a winch if you were on solid, dry ground. We had a Warn winch on the big truck for 20 years and had it under water many, many times with no problems. I'm going to be talking to a Warn engineer tomorrow. Now, what has been your experience using the winch after it's been through water and mud? Has it ever damaged the electrical? Why can't things ever be simple!

Old 08-08-2000, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider

It's no prob.. those winches are sealed pretty good. The reps have to tell you not to get them wet for the same reason yamaha reps tell you not to ride your "ATV" in "non-yamaha aproved trails" (basically under 6" of water). It's just so they can say "I told you so" in the event that somthing actually goes wrong even though their designed to stand up to it.

My winch has been submerged many many times.. it's REAL low on the Kodiaks. The only tip I can tell you is every time you use it you should pull the cable back out (after your unstuck) and wind it back up as you guide it in and hold it tight while your doing it(and use a glove incase it's frayed because it will hurt if you get stuck with a wire), that will keep your cable from getting kinked and frayed.

Quick Reply: Where to put the winch switch on Kodiak?