Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

standing your raptor up on the back grab bar??? good, bad??

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 03:27 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default standing your raptor up on the back grab bar??? good, bad??

Originally posted by: Raptorboy4life
Should i let it go as far as stalling? without any gas going into the carbs?
sure,,,it will just use up the gas in the bowl,,,,,,instead of it running out the overflow tubes and airbox.

Old 06-16-2004, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

Just turn the fuel off and stand it up...put a rag under the drain tubes on the carbs to catch the little bit that is going to drain out.

If you feel you must empty the carbs of fuel...use the drain screws on the carbs. Running the engine until it runs dry is another way. But it tends to lean the engine out as just before it stalls.

Old 06-16-2004, 05:25 PM
Range Rover

That little few seconds of leaning it out won't do much at all, I even go further as when it starts to run rough to put the choke on to pick up the idle and get every drop out. Do it everytime I park my Raptor, and every other machine I own and all the machines I used to take care off at the shop I used to work. It was the difference of cleaning carbs in spring, or firing them up and just driving them with no maintenance whatsoever. If you burn the fuel out the carbs you shouldn't get hardly if any fuel out the overflow or airbox whatsoever. Very rarely do I get a little bit of oil from the crankcase breather, but that's if I'm borderlining overfilling the oil tank, and even then, that's nothing to worry bout, what goes on the filter, oil, to catch dirt, so who cares? Even fuel, it won't hurt the filter much, just be careful of backfiring if your airfilter is full of fuel it could blow it off and apart and burn the foam... I blew it off and apart once when I blew my carb boots off running too low on fuel!

Old 06-16-2004, 05:50 PM
Super Quad Patrol

That little few seconds of leaning it out won't do much at all, I even go further as when it starts to run rough to put the choke on to pick up the idle and get every drop out. Do it everytime I park my Raptor, and every other machine I own and all the machines I used to take care off at the shop I used to work
I do this too whenever I know I will be storing them for a while,,,especially my outboard engine,,,,when I put it up for the winter.

Old 06-16-2004, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys your answers are great.. i just went out and did it after reading it lol... i got a drop of gas in the airbox and thats it!!!!!!

Old 06-16-2004, 10:13 PM
Super Quad Patrol

Thanks guys your answers are great.. i just went out and did it after reading it lol... i got a drop of gas in the airbox and thats it!!!!!!
cool

no worries!!

Old 06-17-2004, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bing
Hey guys to clean your rappy is this okay? I did it.. i put it in gear and i turned the gas off and there is a little bit of gas comming out of someplace.. I was wandering if its okay to do this often because it started when i put it back down... I think the air filter was more wet though is this common?
Its fine,,,,,if you turn the fuel off.

When you are done,,,,remove the airbox cover and remove the airbox drain cap,,,,to let any excess fuel dry out. Some gas will usually run back into the airbox.

If you are maintaining your filter properly,,,it shouldnt be an issue at all.......fairly common practice.

Exactly, I would actually recommend it to anyone, especially those that have skid plates, as long as you remember to:

A - Shut the fuel off, and
B - Maintain your air filter, on a reg basis.

This especially helps if you have a muddy Raptor that you clean with a (pressure washer????) or hose....Due to buildup under the Skidplates IF YOU HAVE THEM, it helps clean your quad off better, things go from top to bottom...instead of splashing all over the place, and not draining off, if you get what i mean... Its easier to flush the engine skidplate when its on its stood up on the grab bar....

I use a Karcher 1600 PSI Pressure washer all the time, NEVER HAD A PROBLEM, it cleans the BEST!!!! i use a flat spray, not a sharp beam or twirling motion water nozzle. Never had a starting problem, bearing problem, rust problem, or water in my airbox or anywhere it doesent belong, when i am done i do a high speed run[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

-bLuRRRR27-

Old 06-17-2004, 01:23 AM
Range Rover

Keep in mind this is especially handy positionfor installing and removing skidplates, when doing routine maintenance or repairs. I'll pull the skids once in a while and clean them up good, around the engine cases too, people are always amazed at how clean my 01 is but I really don't spend too much time on it, just tricks to shave time and cut corners. Tips and tricks, this was being one of them, coming it more handy for storage however. I've had my Raptor standing on end for months, only once in a while the clutches may become dry and you have to run it in neutral for a while while pumping the clutch lever and even sometimes then it'll lurch ahead just a bit before they free up and get oil through the plates, no big deal, doesn't do damage, no worse than stalling it lightly when you ride....

Old 06-17-2004, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: SpArX
Keep in mind this is especially handy positionfor installing and removing skidplates, when doing routine maintenance or repairs. I'll pull the skids once in a while and clean them up good, around the engine cases too, people are always amazed at how clean my 01 is but I really don't spend too much time on it, just tricks to shave time and cut corners. Tips and tricks, this was being one of them, coming it more handy for storage however. I've had my Raptor standing on end for months, only once in a while the clutches may become dry and you have to run it in neutral for a while while pumping the clutch lever and even sometimes then it'll lurch ahead just a bit before they free up and get oil through the plates, no big deal, doesn't do damage, no worse than stalling it lightly when you ride....

Hmm never had that happen! Dunno....

-bLuRRRR27-

Old 06-17-2004, 02:06 AM
Range Rover

Yeah, mine's done that quite a few times, even with the clutch pulled in fully, pop it in gear, sometimes it'll lurch a bit and not stall, and sometimes it rarely might stall, this is mind you like a couple months standing up... Most of the time pumping the clutch lever has eliminated this, haven't had it in like a year maybe, mostly when it was newer....

Quick Reply: standing your raptor up on the back grab bar??? good, bad??