Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

YFZ shocks suck!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YFZ shocks suck!!!!

Yeah, I said it. The last race they absolutely killed me. It was the first race I've really put the yfz through, and it sucked!! I was holding pace, but 1/2 way through the suspension was so harsh that I couldn't hold onto the bars and I got blisters under every finger, and I was even wearing blister resistant gloves. So I come home, and I honestly have tried every combination of pre-load, compression, and rebound, and even the best set-ups are absolutely harsh at the bottom of the stroke and just buck me all over. Does everyone else experience this with the stock shocks? What have you done to correct it? Would you recommend Elka or Axis as a replacement shock?

Old 06-15-2004, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

well oviously elkas or axis are better then the stock yfz.. i have the yfz shocks on my raptor and at the track it rides very smooth!!!! i even tried a rappy with axis shocks and to tell you the truth!! the axis shocks are not worth the more money then stock yfz shocks.. they do fit a little different on the quad though its more parallel on the rappy and more vertical on the yfz... I rode a yfz and boy is that seat hard!!!! it kills your a$$...lol

Old 06-16-2004, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

Raptorboy, Im sure pudljumper was pushing it past the suspensions limits. I know dude, Ive experienced it. Any aftermarket suspension would be better, I suggest Elka and Axis, I also heard VERY good about PEP.

Old 06-16-2004, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

pudljumpr, it could be worse. Try doing it on a raptor.

Old 06-16-2004, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider

No... Dont! LOL.

That will be the worst decision, man its a hassle getting that beat around the track. LOL

Old 06-16-2004, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

Hey.....he did race on a Raptor for two races while his YFZ was in the shop with a blown motor. Just ask him, stock Raptor shocks ride alot better then the super stiff YFZ shocks. He did not get any blisters when he raced my Raptor. True....the stock Raptor shocks faded out in two laps, but at least they were soft!

BTW....Judljumpr races harescrambles with every few jumps in them, mostly rough wooded trails. I'm sure that on a MX track the YFZ shocks shine.

Go Elka Pudl.

03 Raptor
PRM grab bar and rear skid
Pro Design billet shifter
Modded stock airbox and exhaust

Old 06-16-2004, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: adamnieman
Hey.....he did race on a Raptor for two races while his YFZ was in the shop with a blown motor. Just ask him, stock Raptor shocks ride alot better then the super stiff YFZ shocks. He did not get any blisters when he raced my Raptor.

Sounds to me like someone should set up their suspension properly... haha.

If anything, before you throw your stock YFZ shocks out, send them to DeRisi or a similar shop to get them valved and sprung specifically for your quad and you. Should make a world of difference...

Old 06-16-2004, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

What I see the most at the GNCC races are Elka's and Axis. Either one will give you a better ride.

Old 06-17-2004, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

I've talked with some that have gotten the Derisi revalve kit. They said it was an improvement, but still don't even come close to an Elka, or Axis for XC racing/riding.

Old 06-17-2004, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

i mx with my stock raptor shocks!
i would kill for a set of yfz shocks!!
there not as good as aftermarket, but still better than most

Quick Reply: YFZ shocks suck!!!!