Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Another JE gone bad!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 01:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another JE gone bad!

I'm in the process of building a 686 and was wanting to run the JE 12:1, but not real sure now. What is causing the problems with these pistons? poor quality? too low octane? I need to know this before I buy one?

Old 06-23-2004, 01:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The Ross pistons are $225. I've got two right now. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

And okieracer, some people say it's too low of octane. Some say differnt, but there has been a lot of JE failures over the past few months. You might want to look into a differnt brand of piston for your upcoming build.

Old 06-23-2004, 01:40 PM
Elite Pro Rider

JE has reportedly redesigned their Raptor pistons several times. As we all know, redesigning is expensive and does not happen unless they are having problems. When one of their pistons lunches an engine they should be held accountable. Proving it is the tough part.
Gary

Old 06-23-2004, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider

sorry to hear..

Old 06-23-2004, 06:55 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: garyc660R
JE and Wiseco are the same company. I have always considered Wiseco pistons a moto-to-moto then throw away piston....whereas a JE is top shelf material. What shocks me is JE makes pistons for 500+ HP (per cylinder) top fuel dragsters and cannot make one for a 50-60hp Raptor. I have had good success running their piston so far, but it's apparant JE has issues with reliability. I ran a 10.75/1 stock bore JE for almost 2 years. I have a 102mm 10.75/1 JE installed right now...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img].
Gary
Wiseco, owned by Dover Industries, acquired JE Pistons back in 1999. JE's "bargain line" is actually srp metals. Wiseco remains independent of JE for the majority of its products and business endeavours.

Old 06-23-2004, 07:07 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Like I posted...same company. No-matter if how separate they are, Wiseco IS one of their cheaper pistons.

Old 06-23-2004, 07:11 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not think wiseco is cheap, but regardless, the JE has had too poor a track record on the raptor to purchase it twice. That said, get something besides je until someone can confirm that significant changes have been made and actually work.

Old 06-23-2004, 07:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: maddog56
I do not think wiseco is cheap, but regardless, the JE has had too poor a track record on the raptor to purchase it twice. That said, get something besides je until someone can confirm that significant changes have been made and actually work.
Wiseco is cheap...thats why you can buy piston and rings for less than $100. Everyone and their brother sells Wiseco pistons because they are good enough for 80% of the potential buyers out there and CHEAP. Moto-to-moto you cannot beat them cost wise. What is a better piston choice? Ross just started making Raptor pistons...we could very well see the same things going wrong with their unproven offerrings. I would like too see higher compression being obtained through the head and not a pop-up on the piston that hurts combustion efficiency and promotes hot spots.
Gary

Old 06-23-2004, 07:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: garyc660R
Originally posted by: maddog56
Wiseco is cheap...thats why you can buy piston and rings for less than $100. Everyone and their brother sells Wiseco pistons because they are good enough for 80% of the potential buyers out there and CHEAP. Moto-to-moto you cannot beat them cost wise. What is a better piston choice? Ross just started making Raptor pistons...we could very well see the same things going wrong with their <STRONG>unproven</STRONG> offerrings. I would like too see higher compression being obtained through the head and not a pop-up on the piston that hurts combustion efficiency and promotes hot spots.
Gary
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

I got a Ross Piston............................................ .......................... Hopefully I can trust it to last.

Old 06-23-2004, 08:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I got a Ross Piston............................................ .......................... Hopefully I can trust it to last.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

I have faith in the Ross. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]