Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2000, 10:13 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the september 4wheel atv action mag it says that yamaha already has boatload of goodies for the raptor....headpipe,carbon fiber or aluminum mufflers,graphics,heel gaurds,shock covers,skids for a-arms,frame and swingarm,cooler brackets,and front bumpers in 2 styles....has anyone ever got oem products before and how do they compare to other brands?

Old 08-08-2000, 11:53 PM
Range Rover

I like that baja bumper too, bash! Hehe...

Jason

Old 08-09-2000, 08:41 AM
Pro Rider

Im sorry all the stuff you mentioned Yamaha had for the Raptor exactly what would a head pipe do? Does that just allow a better exhaust flow out? Sorry for my ignorance.

Old 08-09-2000, 08:59 AM
Pro Rider

Where can we find these Yamaha products? Does our dealer have a catalog for them?

It's a good sign that Yamaha has performance parts for it. They must feel it has potential for a lot more HP as well.

Also, when the Japanese designer said it would do 75 mph, does anyone think he might have been being conservative due to the possibility that they may make gearing changes before it comes out?

Old 08-09-2000, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

Really, the only thing the 660 engine shares with the 426 is the use of 5 valves - 3 intake, 2 exhaust.

The 426 is a double overhead cam engine, while the 660 is a single overhead cam design, so scratch that cam swap idea. This design also will not lend itself to as high speed operation due to the rocker arm design...

The YZ has a throttle position sensor & associated electronics that varies ignition timing.

The YZ uses extremely wild cam timing for a stock engine.

The YZ will turn over 11,000 RPM, I wouldn't recommend trying this with the 660.

The YZ is FAR more oversquare than the 660.

The YZ was built for the express purpose of being a fully modified race engine from the factory. The 660 was built as an average everyday, mild performance streetbike thumper.

12.5:1 with such a large bore will more than likely require the use of race gas, where the YZ, with it's smaller bore, wild cam timing, and efficient combustion chamber design can get away with pump gas.

I just wanted to make sure that you are aware that there are far more differences between these engines than just the compression ratio.

What I want to know is why people are even thinking engine mods and pipes on a bike is sure to be very powerful and that they haven't even ridden yet. Noisy pipes are one of the biggest reasons our riding areas get closed and we get bad publicity. On a bike as powerful as the Raptor, I would focus on handling (aftermarket suspension, steering damper, tires, etc...)

Old 08-09-2000, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

Easy Killer! =-) Not ALL of us are planning to pipe and do extensive engine work on this 4-wheeler. I know myself that I wont be doing that unless I find the quad to be under powered LOL ummm I doubt that. I love trail riding and yeah I know what you mean about LOUD pipes on trails. But I just wanted to let you know not all of us are out to make lots of noise and tear up public trails. I myself plan on putting some tire marks around on my personal property however. I REALLY want to take my first trail ride trip into Wisconsin with my new Raptor. About the only thing I will be doing as far as mods go for now will be a new bumper. I mean heck its all I can afford! I dont mean to say everyone else out there wanting mods is out to "kill our trails" either so please dont take it that way. Most people that are getting these are looking into racing. But anyways I just felt I needed to comment on this.......Enjoy your Raptors when you get them! Dont hold back to tell us whom have to wait what they are like!

Old 08-09-2000, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info on the top end, but I still must insist on a higher compression ratio, although I dont plan on 12.5, id settle for 10.25-11.0 and some 93+ octane fuel. Im fairly sure that even though It may not handle higher revvs than 9000 but it could not hurt to pull the revv limiter fairly sooner, as none of the tests so far have been able to reach the rev limter in top gear.

Old 08-09-2000, 11:31 PM
Range Rover

I'm selling my fully modified Warrior and already have a downpayment on the first Raptor at my dealership. Im all with free1steven. Bye to handelbars hello renthals, go to new mx holeshot ITP tires with a nice looking .190 racebead rims, get a slightly longer durablue axle, get rid of those ugly heel potectors and buy nerf bars, you need better skids go with DG, new crome AC racing front bumper and grabbar, K&N airfilter for life, and a nice crome header pipes with a removable spark arresstor. This will be my bike not soon enough. I just hope my wife doesn't divorce me! HAHAHA

Old 08-09-2000, 11:46 PM
Range Rover

I believe the headpipe(s) would give better flow and also they may fit one or both of the mufflers better....just my guess though...and for those of you who dont like the handlebars you can buy just the crossmember and bolt it to the existing bars....that may be what I go with?