Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2000, 01:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been thinking of potential modifications I'd like to make to my Raptor when I get it...just curious what all of you are planning to do to yours after reading all of these reviews, and to deal with any supposed weak points this machine might have. How do all of you think it could be improved? Also, if any of you know of aftermarket manufacturers that a getting a jump on the market on things such as pipes, suspension, etc, let's discuss it! I'm anxious to hear everybody's feedback.

Old 08-08-2000, 01:59 AM
Range Rover

I myself am pretty sure that Yosh. has a pipe ready. I will consider that, and maybe a sprocket switch. The reviewers noted that it should be able to easily pull 2 or 3 teeth less, if you wished. Ill probably drop 1 or so, if they arent already doing it from the factory.. Other than that, and probably tires, Ill probably leave it alone for a while,and see what others do. Oh, and yes, probably an aftermarket airbox design..if I feel its not suitable. It should be rip roarin enough right outta the crate...so the thrill will last me , till I get the bug again...lol.

Im also interested to see what any others have planned. Im hearing this motor can be modded to awesome H.P levels.

Old 08-08-2000, 09:11 AM
Pro Rider

I'm not sure about the plastic skid plates. They are better than none, but I sure did like my PRM skids and baja bumper on my Banshee. I'd consider a different skid and maybe a different front bumper.

I'm hoping that it will have enough power right out of the box. That was a "selling" point that I gave to my wife. "honey, you know how you hate me working on my Banshee all the time, with this, I won't have to worry about it." Well, she viewed it as working on it, when I was really just tuning and modding it, but I guess it's all the same really. So yes, I hope I'm satisfied with the power it has, and I intend to leave the motor stock for a while.

By the way, what kind of power levels have you heard that it is capable of producing? 65 or 70 HP? Maybe I won't be able to leave it alone..haha

Old 08-08-2000, 09:18 AM
Pro Rider

The mods im going to do right off the bat are prolly just a new front bumper....Thats all I will be able to afford! =-) Plus I think I got a really spiffy one picked out to make this Raptor look REALLY mean.

Old 08-08-2000, 09:22 AM
Pro Rider

what kind of bumper is it? I'd like to see it.

Old 08-08-2000, 09:25 AM
Pro Rider

Have you ever seen those bumper's in ATVSport and I think they are in DirtWheels too? They have the bumper in the shape of open jaws? Just my opinion but I think that would REALLY set off a Raptor especially with those wicked headlights? Just my opinion though......

Old 08-08-2000, 12:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If I were getting one, which I might next year depending on what you guys think of the Raptor, I would probably get the head shaved a bit and go down a tooth on the front sprocket. These two mods are pretty inexpensive, yet give good results..

RoostKing...

Old 08-08-2000, 01:25 PM
Range Rover

I won't be getting a Raptor anytime soon, I like my Bashee. I would think the first mod on the Raptor would be tires. Has Dunlap produced a good ATV tire yet? Next mod would be handlebars. Stock bars have no crossmember support and I think they look bad. You would have to think about putting on the best air filter system. To make machine unique you could replace seat cover and add extra padding which seems to be the biggest complaint from test riders. Front shocks if not rebuildable would have to go.

Old 08-08-2000, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider

I plan to bump the compression up as soon as a Piston is available from wiseco. This is the only thing that I can find that is setting it apart from the yz426. The raptor has 9.2:1 compression but the Yz 426 has 12.5:1 compression. Also since the head is similar the Cams may swap if they are different. This would be the machine yamaha is afraid to make, because they stated the power hit is too Violent in the 426, All Ive got to say is Gas it and hold on. But Really Im sure Ill need some tires before any thing else, as the radials like to puncture easily, so Ill probably go with a nice set of holeshots XC's and maybe order a set of 12 paddle haulers.

Old 08-08-2000, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider

Paddles will be my first thing I get.... those of you that are planning on running in the sand what size, and how many paddles are you going to get

I was thinking 20x10x10 10 paddle haulers

What is the best place to order paddles (cheapest) online if possible I would like to find a place that gives a discount if you buy front(mohawks) and rear tires combo at the same time....... any ideas??? I found one place in a mag that had that kind of deal but it was on dune hoppers... I don't really want those I like the haulers alot better

any ideas would be great

Quick Reply: Raptor Modifications