Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Pro Design/GYT-R air filter/adapters

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 05:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro Design/GYT-R air filter/adapters

i did some searching, but did not find a good answer. if i have no intentions of removing the air box lid, is a pro design or gyt-r filter w/adaptor necessary? Or, will i be ok to just use a uni or something? i guess the real question is: with the lid on, will the prodesign or gyt-r allow more air flow than a uni or twin air? foam only, i am not interested in a k&n.

Old 06-24-2004, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider

even if u dont remove the lid it provides a better seal against dirt.. plus if u ever do remove the lid.. ya got it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-24-2004, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

Pinhead is right. The main advantage is the seal you get with the prodesign and adaptor. The stock set-up is cheesy at best and will allow air and dirt to get by. I put a Pro Design on my Grizzly yesterday for that very reason. It's well worth the $100 cost.

Old 09-28-2004, 05:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

even when you left the lid on(which I want to do), did you have to rejet?

Lucky13

Old 09-28-2004, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

When I first bought my raptor I bought the drop in K&N filter cuz I didn't know any better. Now, this past week, I just installed the prodesign intake that I should've bought in the first place. I guess I'll have to learn the hard way. If there is something that you are getting anyway, spend the extra money and get something that you will be able to use and make better later. Get the prodesign. Then, if you decide to take the lid off, you only have to rejet.

Old 09-28-2004, 06:42 PM
Range Rover

so you guys are saying that the pro design kit fits the stock airbox??
i was always wondering
also why do some of you not like k&N , what are the advantages of K&N/ foam
always wondered
is the k&n pro flow lid worth it or should i just remove the lid

when i refered to a k&n above i meant a filter equipped with an outerwear and also the lid with an outerwear

i had always thought that the pro flow kits eliminated the airbox totally
thanks

Old 09-28-2004, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

I have the K&N on my bike, but only because the foam was backordered. The K&N gives a little more hp but that's only because it's thinner and that causes some of the dirt to get through. The foam filter is also easier to clean and not much hp less than the K&N. You have to ask to be sure when ordering, but most all of the proflow kits still use the airbox with or without the top. The filter is bolted directly to the billet part so that you can take the top off. The drop in K&N has to have the top on because the top holds the filter in. You still have to rejet if you go back and forth with the top on and off, but at least with the proflow you have that option. I will try to get pics up of my setup. I bought the proflow and I thought, just like you, that the filter did away with the airbox but it didn't. I made a few cuts and changes to the box and now I don't have the airbox. It's up to you, but the proflow gives you more options to change. Depending on if you ride in the mud, I suggest doing away with the top at least. It will give you more hp. I've heard that the K&N outerwear top causes problems with the vacuum inside messes with jetting it right.

Old 09-29-2004, 06:35 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going to be in wet conditions, go with the foam and keep the lid on.

If you arent, the paper k&n is the way to go.