Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

first ride on my new 690 at the dunes

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first ride on my new 690 at the dunes

raptor660fam-Web 736/737-WALLSTREET-CG Performance is who did the porting and they are the ones who built my motor and they build some very fast raptors.No crank balancing and as far as i can tell so far i have no more vibration than i did with the stock rod.

Old 06-28-2004, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider

[i]Originally posted by: duneittilludie[/iNo crank balancing and as far as i can tell so far i have no more vibration than i did with the stock rod.
I am very interested in this rod thing. My '01 is coming apart this winter after the season's over for some re-do. Putting gears in it and other things. Anybody else have any rod comments from experience? Washredskin I know you have some input here if you see this......

Also, you guys with aftermarket cams in your Rappys, I would like any input there. I have heard some horror stories about lost bottom end for a teeny gain on top etc. Cams really gotta be done right to work. Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread but this is where the Raptor Rodders are hangin out.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 06-28-2004, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ShadyRascal
[i]Originally posted by: duneittilludie[/iNo crank balancing and as far as i can tell so far i have no more vibration than i did with the stock rod.
I am very interested in this rod thing. My '01 is coming apart this winter after the season's over for some re-do. Putting gears in it and other things. Anybody else have any rod comments from experience? Washredskin I know you have some input here if you see this......

Also, you guys with aftermarket cams in your Rappys, I would like any input there. I have heard some horror stories about lost bottom end for a teeny gain on top etc. Cams really gotta be done right to work. Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread but this is where the Raptor Rodders are hangin out.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Provided that you have the reciprocating assembly balanced after the rod install, you'll have less vibration than stock. My KENZ 727, with a Carrillo rod and 12.5:1 compression, has considerably less vibration than it did when it was stock. As for cam selection, it's all about where you want your power to be. I wanted a lot of midrange torque(for good duneability), and the Stage II Hotcam definately delivered. As for a loss of low-end, I've got FAR more low-end now than I did when stock(the biggest benefit of high compression is the big boost in low-end torque). Mine pulls like a tractor right off idle and pulls pretty linear to 8800 RPM.

Old 06-28-2004, 09:31 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Raptor660Fam
RaptorAZ - was Selector at 4SWIII???

I don't know. I've never actually met him in person.

Thank's for the complement BTW.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-28-2004, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ShadyRascal
I am very interested in this rod thing. My '01 is coming apart this winter after the season's over for some re-do. Putting gears in it and other things. Anybody else have any rod comments from experience? Washredskin I know you have some input here if you see this......Also, you guys with aftermarket cams in your Rappys, I would like any input there. I have heard some horror stories about lost bottom end for a teeny gain on top etc. Cams really gotta be done right to work. Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread but this is where the Raptor Rodders are hangin out. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
Replace the rod. No question if you are splitting the case. If you've got the cash, go Ti. Even the heavy duty Ti rod (NOS:-) is lighter than stock. If you want to turn serious rpm, have it balanced by Falicon. Carrillo is not always the best CrMo replacement rod if you can't afford Ti, ask around before writing a check.

I ran a Stage 2 Hotcam in a Craycraft high compression 686. It was much better than stock and with the higher compression, it had gobs of low end. In my new CR730, I have Craycraft's new cam. It is better than the Stage 2 on the top but doesn't feel like I lost any low end grunt. Craycraft needs your head if you want to run his cam, it's not a drop in. I wouldn't go with more than a Stage 2 Hotcam unless you are also having oversized valves, serious port work, and are ready to buy new carbs. Don't know a thing about Web and Megacycle cams except that the Sparks hi-rev cam is an off-the-shelf Megacycle.

Good luck and choose your builder carefully.

Old 06-28-2004, 11:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have heard that when you get the stronger rod in a Raptor, like the Carillo, it's heavier and you get some high rpm vibration. Any body have experience with that?
No problem with the B&W Industries Chromoly Rod I got from Bob Craycraft, or the balence and true from Falicon. 0 vibration if you are idling or wot.