Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Absolutely Unbelievable! Kenz 686

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Absolutely Unbelievable! Kenz 686

These guys are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT about the Geckos. I bought them when they first came out because Dirt Wheels did an article saying how awesome and light they were. They were the first set of paddles that I ever had. Little did I know how many races I was losing because of those pieces of junk. They are great for sliding sideways and playing around because they have no forward bite.

By switching to a set of Skat Trak Haulers you will be blown away by the difference. Easy 2 or more bike lengths faster than the Geckos. I have had both and raced with both so I know from first hand experience. Here is an example:

I was at the dunes this weekend playing around with my new 11:1 686. I have a +2.5" swingarm and my quad is lowerd down ALOT. I never had a problem with keeping the front end down. With the Geckos I could drop the clutch at redline in 1st gear sitting straight up in the middle of the seat and the front tires would not leave the ground. The rears would just spin and the engine would bounce off the rev limiter and it took forever to get moving.

I switched over to my new set of ultralite Hauler 21x12x8 9 paddles. Even sitting as far up on the gas tank as I could with my knees hitting the front fenders and leaning forward, the front end would come up off the ground in first. And second. And if I shifted my weight back to the rear of the seat it would come up when I shifted from second to third.

Trust me, it will be the best $200 you spend if you are interested in beating your friends in the sand. Good luck and enjoy!

RR1

Old 06-29-2004, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

We will see, I'm going to Silver Lakes Dunes this weekend for the 4th and, I'll be able to tell you exactly how BAD this beast is.

I'll also get a better idea of how bad i'll need that swingarm extension.

I personally never had a problem with the Gecko's. I think they work pretty well but, if they spin more with all this power I'm hoping that it will keep my front end down. For Instance = On an open stretch of grass in the mid range of 4th i can pin the gas and, blow a wheelie till it revs out. If this is any indication of what launching in the sand will be like,,, the wife will kill me when i mention swingarm! LOL... This is the ride i've been looking for!!!!!!!!!

Man I can't wait! This is better than X-Mas when we were 5 years old!

Old 06-29-2004, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider

Yah sounds like ur goin nutz with ur new found power LOL!

Have fun and ride safe.. I cant say nothin bout sant tires cuz i dont dune, i have none by me:-(

-bLuRRRR27-

Old 06-29-2004, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider

Ohh yea...as far as swingarms go, im wonderin if anyone here has an Alba...they look really good, and are around the same price as the TuckerPro...

Which one is better???

I am looking at going +2, and hoping that it helps. I cant really go a whole lot more than that because i ride trails, and track. But for track im thinkin i may have screwed myself with goin with the 686 because of its power, and how i should have a shorter wheelbase for power and sliding and things like that...

I would look to IMS Roll, but they are insanely expensive... My other concern is brake lines...do i have to go aftermarket for the length, and if i do wouldnt i just be better off to do like galfer braided¿¿¿

Any help would be greatly Appreciated...

-bLuRRRR27-

Old 06-29-2004, 02:13 PM
Range Rover

Off topic question for UBETRUN's. Who makes the nerfs on your quad in the profile picture? Did they mate easily to your GYT-R heel plates?
Thanks
Chet

P.S. My Raptor is in Mesa, AZ Right now. Kenz Cycle Tech is training it up to earn it's Black Belt on the dyno. I'm told it will be ready to leave the temple soon. It grabs the pebbles and throws them accross the room, it just can't get past that rice paper deal. I'm sure it will just blow the cauldron out of the way with the 727's exhuast jet blast.

The beauty of this is that the quad will be way faster than me.

Old 06-29-2004, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

coyote - when will your bike be done? we are making a Cinder trip (flagstaff) for 4th of july weekend, this weekend. Where do you live in Tucson, I'm a southsider. Where do you ride?

Old 06-29-2004, 05:15 PM
Range Rover

Fam - It was supposed to be done Friday of this week, a better estimate is next week. I told Ken not to rush because I had knee surgery Wed and can't ride it anyway. Recovery from surgery is the reason I'm home from work and able to play on the connection. Appreciate the invite to cinders though. The last time we were at cinders was last summer while during our move back to Tucson from Edwards Air Force Base, CA. We usually ride in Glamis with day trips to 83 or HotWells. We live on the Eastside.

Your review on your low comp Craycraft is what prompted me to do the build on my quad.

Chet

Old 06-30-2004, 01:38 AM
Pro Rider

Coyote - thanks for the compliment!!! we will have to ride sometime together, we ride Glamis, Hotwells, and Cinders, same places we are bound to meet up sometime. Keep in touch. What mods did you have done to your bike?

Old 06-30-2004, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

i have tried many sand tires and now have the extreme 10 paddle haulers. 350 is alot of money for sand tires but the difference is insane. i can climb hills now with ease that i could only dream of before.

Old 06-30-2004, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

I was just wondering... who makes the biggest big bore for a raptor? i heard a rumor about an 870? or is there bigger??

Quick Reply: Absolutely Unbelievable! Kenz 686