Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my raptor break in

what's so un-believable?

Old 06-30-2004, 04:00 AM
Trailblazer

Oh lets see here, all bearing are pressure fed oil...the bearings that are press-fitted to the side of the case that the transmission shafts ride on aren't...they're in an oil bath, as is the countershaft bearing. Breaking in a motor will cause pre-mature wear on the bearings!!!! What the?? How about where the gears mesh with each other?? Anywhere there is metal to metal contact..ie bearings.. those surfaces need a little time to seat or break in together. I know that the factories run every bike & quad on a dyno prior to shipping at near full throttle, but that is no reason what-so-ever to think that a new bike is ready to race out of the crate, but hey, to each his own.

Old 06-30-2004, 04:48 AM
Pro Rider

A bearing has a set tolorance, it has no break-in, it runs on an oil film, the only thing that will effect it is a low oil level, the only thing to break in on a new engine is the rings, all said , I find myself holding back some on a fresh motor as well for a little bit, but you're better off to punch it at the get-go and get it hot and seat the rings good, if it comes apart, it was'nt put together right to begin with.

Everyone has their own way, so to each their own.

Old 06-30-2004, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider

to each his own ya...but why do you say that ballbearings need to be "seated", ball bearings(the ***** and the track) are manufactured to a micro inch spec. and are pre-polished so the seating is pretty much done already, if you break in those ballbearings, you will loose the spec. for the ball's and the trackway, leading to a premature ball-bearing wear/breakage, if there is a little defect in the manufacture process, no amount of easy break in will make them "seat properly". As for the tranny, basically as long as you shift fully and use the clutch on a new tranny, its good. Of course no bike is ready to race right out of the box, thats why you warm up the engine, and break it in hard, so the piston rings have a time to seat well with the cross-hatched pattern on the cylinder walls.

please explain why bearings need to be breaken in together or seat with each other?and if so, why do they come pre-polished already?

how do you think the race teams are? do you think they run the bikes for the first 60hrs or so easily? they probly warm up the engines, ride them hard to break them in, check everything. then they get the bikes ready for racing.

i break in all my new toys this way....hell, i even broke in the lawnmower like my other toys (after letting it warm up) given it good amounts of rpm with a load cutting grass, and its 4yrs old now and still goin strong, and no failures.

Old 06-30-2004, 09:33 PM
Trailblazer

Ok Tekky, so according to you, nothing needs to be broken in, right? Everything is set & ready to go right out of the crate, correct? Well then please answer this 1 question for me...why is it that when you change the oil on a four-stroke for the 1st time & you pull out the original factory oil filter it had all kinds of metal shavings, slivers, particles or whatever you want to call it embedded in the folds of the filter???? Why is that??? It couldn't be that all of the new parts broke in together & left metal particles in the filter could it? Oh, I know...the factory puts in a metallic-based motor oil in at the factory...that has to be it!!!

Old 07-02-2004, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

Much of the metal that comes loose in a new engine isn't directly from the break-in process, but rather it's from the aluminum burrs that break off from the edges of the machined surfaces. Realistically, it's not possible to mass produce machined parts and de-burr the hundreds of parts in each engine by hand.

Old 07-02-2004, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Froooo
Ok Tekky, so according to you, nothing needs to be broken in, right? Everything is set & ready to go right out of the crate, correct

where did i say that nothing else in the engine is set and rdy to go....i only said that the bearings do not need to be broken in.

Old 07-04-2004, 06:24 PM
Trailblazer

Yes, some of the metal in the oil does come from the "flashing" pieces of new parts, like oil tanks & lines will have some thin small pieces that will break away during the 1st few hrs of operation but I think most of it comes from the transmission & clutch. The reason I said that you think everything is ready to run out of the crate is the way you break in a motor. Breaking in a motor to me means to take it easy for just 1 short hour. If you jump on a new quad and go ***** out, in my opinion, isn't breaking it in...that's just riding it fast, which you can do nowdays since our quads are built so well, just like our cars. But this I can tell you, back in 1979 a buddy of mine bought a brand new YZ 125 & broke it in the way you say is correct, & the thing locked up tight at the 10 min mark. Being air-cooled, the bikes were more likely to seize but he did warm it up correctly & still locked it up tight. My 78 RM 125 never locked up on me my 1st day out. Our local shop bored it out for him & also told him to follow the guidelines in the manual for break-in procedures. New bikes can surely handle that sort of thing today, but I'll never do it. It's only an hour of break in time. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-05-2004, 03:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

why is it that when you change the oil on a four-stroke for the 1st time & you pull out the original factory oil filter it had all kinds of metal shavings, slivers, particles or whatever you want to call it embedded in the folds of the filter?
If I found metal shaving and slivers in my brand new engine I would have a talk with my engine builder. The only thing you should find in the filter and pan is a small amount of gray black material; that will be ring and bore material from proper break-in.

Quick Reply: my raptor break in