Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

YFZ cam mod completed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YFZ cam mod completed!

Well...it's been a week er so since I got the new YFZ so I had to try out the FREE cam mod! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] It was a pain in the a$$ to get that cam gear one tooth clockwise, got tons of knicks and scratches on my hands lol! Once I got it done I attempted to start it up....nothing except the engine turning over. So I kept tryin and it finally started up but I had to keep it at about half throttle to keep it running, it wouldnt idle at all. I took a spin down the driveway and back and it ran good except no idling lol. So I read a little and found out that I must bump up the pilot jet after this mod...DOH! So...I ran into town to get my very expensive piece of brass...a 45 pilot jet. Stuck it in and tried starting it...after a little bit it fires up and idles!! but shortly dies [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] so I start it again, and the battery is already weak from turning it over before so I'm hoping I can get a ride to charge it up a little. I get it started and played with the idle to keep it running...it idles for about a minute and eventually dies everytime so I assume it's still a little lean on the pilot but at least it starts and idles! hehe!

When I took it in the field to ride around I noticed right away I had more bottom end and alot less of a hard hitting top end. I think it creates a smoother powerband, I noticed that without the mod I have a spot in the powerband that it would really jump in power kinda like a banshee, am I right? It helped my power turns because I wouldnt have to rev it out to that power spot to get the tires turning, instead I just slowly give it gas. I read alot that this mod helps in the top end alot so I was expecting even more of a top end hit but instead I picked up a broader low to mid with the same top end just not as suprising. Have people been observing wrong or what? This is the only mod I've done to the bike, everything is stock. Do you guys think I should go bigger on my pilot because of it's dying while idling? What else should I make sure I do since I've done this mod? I noticed it's alot more of a pain in the a$$ to start too, would this be because I'm still a little lean also or because of the mod? I'm planning on getting a kickstart system and read that this mod is a must if you plan on kickstarting...if it's hard to start electrically then how am I gonna start it kicking it? What you guys have to say about this?

Old 06-28-2004, 10:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Congrat's on the new YFZ and the cam mod. Sounds like you have some more tinkering to get it complete, but you seem to be making progress.

How does it compare to your Raptor?

Old 06-28-2004, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

I honestly dont know what the problem could be. When i did my cam mod it did the same thing. Then i ordered a dyno jet kit and i put i think the 144 and the neddle on 4 or 5 and took the air box lid off. It didnt come with a pilot jet so i had to go to the dealer and get one so i bought the 45. It runs great now.

Old 06-28-2004, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

Wheres the freakin air/fuel screw on this thing?! I've been lookin everywhere and can't seem to figure it out...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 06-28-2004, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

I have heard that the Dirt Bike 450 exhaust cam change makes a big difference in the power band. Has any one does this?

Old 06-28-2004, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

I've read about it, it is the exact same cam that is already in the YFZ. The decompression pin isn't in the proper place after the cam mod so the YZ cam has the pin in the stock position, that is the only difference.

Old 06-29-2004, 12:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking at the cam gear from the shifter side which way did you move the gear? It sounds like you advanced the cam and not retarded it. Which would give you the power where your talking about.
For the mix screw get a zip-ty from alba. It's the only way you can adjust it without pulling or turning the carb. It will be the best $20 you ever spent.

Old 06-29-2004, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider

that's just what I was thinking, that he went a tooth the wrong direction. That would explain picking up the bottom end. Normally this mod costs some bottom and gives more top end.

Old 06-29-2004, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

I feel bad if you did. I would hate to do that over again.

Old 06-29-2004, 02:00 AM
Pro Rider

I moved it clockwise or to the right making the cam lobes move up or away from the head. I ended up jetting it better and I think I found that top end I was missing out on [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I found the air screw and turned it out another half turn witch MAJORLY helped the starting! It also kept it from dying after idling for a long time. After that I bumped the needle up one notch and that helped a ton too! I still have the stock main jet in, what should I bump that up to, or would it even help after the mod?

Quick Reply: YFZ cam mod completed!