Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

wolverine, got water in rear differential

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2000, 07:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my friends wolverine has water in the rear differential, it was obvious because it was white and milky, what had happened is the shaft leading up to the back of the motor is covered by a rubber housing with a metal ring, which came loose allowing water to flow in. i was wondering if anyone has had this happen to them, or if anyone knows how serious this could be and what he should do besides of course draining the fluid and replacing it...

Thanks

Durkan
2000 Kodiak

Old 08-11-2000, 08:24 AM
Trailblazer

Durkan,
I would make sure the seals on the axle (both ends are good, water can get in there also!!!If there is any rust inside the tube the axle runs in the seal behind the brake caliper is leaking, and if the seal is leaking the axle might be bent!!!!!
DOO800

Old 08-11-2000, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider

I would repack the bearing just to be on the safe side. I am going to start checking mine about every 3-6 months and repack them to make sure I don't have to keep replacing bearing there not that expense but if I can save a little money by repacking them I will. When mine got water in it was beacause of the axle being bent. It was not bent that bad just a little bit, but enough to wear on the seals. I then filled my rear differential with 10W-30 motor oil and then drove it around the yard for about 3-5 minutes then I drained it. I did that twice and let the plug set out over night to make sure as much of the motor oil drained out and then filled it with gear lube road it around for about an hour or so and drained again. I might have over done the draining and filling but I wanted it to be right. Make sure you don't over fill or you will get gear lube out of the breather hose up by your air intake. If you do take out the bearing and repack them the bearing on the left side, where the exposed axle is a pain in the butt to get out. You might want to get a broom handle with a tapered end and tap it out from the brake side or ask your dealer how they get them out.

Hope this help. E-mail me if you have any other questions