Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

WARRIOR -- Big Bore Kits

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 10:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WARRIOR -- Big Bore Kits

Has anyone ever rode a warrior with a big bore kit installed?? Has anyone ever raced a warrior against another bike with one installed??

How do you put your quad specs here?

Old 07-07-2004, 12:22 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

my friends 01 has a 430 big bore.. i thin kthe setup was way wrong but it was FAST AS HELL! raced a yfz450 and beat it ( he was still doin breakin) i posted that story already.. powroll makes a big bore kit.. and use raptor shocks.. 02 front 01 rear.... the ride is great( or so im told) powroll

Old 07-07-2004, 12:47 PM
Trailblazer

I just bought some YFZ shocks off of ebay. I plan on using those along with some kind of motor modification.

Old 07-07-2004, 03:50 PM
Pro Rider

Several years ago I did the Poweroll 400cc stroker big bore cammed piped kit........it was a blast at the time, but that was when the only other big thumper sport quad on the market was a 400ex.

Any more these days, I just wouldn't put that much money into a perfectly good running 350cc motor. Mine was down for blown up tranny problems, so I did the big bore and stroker crank while the cases were split

With todays era of Modern Technology new style quads, I'd save the $1500-2000 and put that towards getting a new quad instead of motor work on a dated chassis and suspension design.

Web page of my big bore Wicked Warrior.

http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_craig/Powroll_grunt.htm

Old 07-08-2004, 12:01 PM
Trailblazer

That is true but I loose money everytime i sell my old quad and go out and buy a new one. I'm 14 and the kinda money to buy a new quad every 1 or 2 years is hard to come buy. Why not just keep the quad you got and make it awesome, make it a one of a kind?? I like the new technologically advanced quads they're fast and awesome. But I want something different.

Anyways back to the question. What kind of power do these big bore kits put out? What kind of "Set Up" do I need with the kit? Will the kit put out enough power (with a great "set up") to beat a stock raptor in a drag (any length)??

Old 07-08-2004, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

Well you say you lose money everytime you buy and sell. Call it an investment.

You've just gone out and bought a 2004 Warrior. May I ask why? That machine hasn't significantly changed in 13 years. Still a good machine, but you went out and dropped what, $4800-5400? So now, on a brand new quad, you're wanting to spend another $1000-1500-2000 on a big bore kit (BTW a Warrior will most likely not "beat" a raptor routinely, a 400ex yes, but a raptor or any other newer sport quad is doubtfull in a fair and even race) The warrior is only a 2 valve head, and even when you do a high lift cam and port and polish the head, they just don't make the power (even in built condition) that a newer technology sport quad can.

Warriors stock are 18-20 horsepower I believe, My 400cc built to the hilt might of put out 28-30 hp and thats stretching it.

Save your money and keep your warrior engine stock for the internal parts for reliability, put your money into suspension and tires to get the power you've got to the ground.

Old 07-08-2004, 03:04 PM
Trailblazer

I just bought YFZ 450 shocks and I've got semi-brand new tires (Shredders). What do you suggest I do now? This will probably be the last quad I own until I get out of college. That means I'll probably only be riding it for a maximum of three more years. Should I go with a smaller big bore kit or just leave it alone?? What should I do next to get the most out of my quad??

Old 07-08-2004, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

The next step? hmmmmmm

Sounds like you're still running the stock exhaust? I'd put a White Bros E series pipe on it to get it to breathe but keep the sound level down. The new carb will accent the air flow, but get the jetting right. Make the most of the power you already have. K&N filter with Outerwears on a pro-flow mount is a good idea too.

The new shocks will be tunable which is good. soften up the spring preload and compression dampening valving so you get the most of the travel, then stiffen it up from there depending on riding terrain and jumping heights.

If you want to get into the motor, since its a brand friggin new quad, just leave the bore alone, and step up to a mild .390 lift cam, stock is .382/.382 if I remember right. That'll help with the low end grunt and top end breathing a bit. Cheap easy mod that just bolts in.

7 way click adjust steering dampers from Denton racing are a god-send, and you'll really really like the steering feel much much better too.

So there you go. If I had a warrior and limited funds, those are all good mods (most around $100 each except the exhaust) All which will make significant gains in your machine.

Then remember to always tune what you got, instead of throwing big dollars at some extreme combination of exotic parts.

Old 07-08-2004, 05:56 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks ALOT!! I really appreciate your input. But, I think I'm gonna try and go with an HMF s/o exhaust for the bike.

Old 08-12-2004, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

you should try what i have

Quick Reply: WARRIOR -- Big Bore Kits