Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Need help on Raptor modifications

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 10:43 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on Raptor modifications

I have a 2003 stock Raptor. This thing when I first bought it, I thought it was the fastest machine in the world. Boy was I wrong! I got spanked by a modded up Banshee. I raced a modded up 450yfz and he left me like I was tied. I have about $1500 I want to sink in my machine. I want the best bang for my buck. Give me some help please as I plan on taking it to the Yamaha dealership Monday. Thanks!!

Old 07-07-2004, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

From what i understand craycraft does the 686 kit for 1600 bucks..

Old 07-07-2004, 10:58 PM
Trailblazer

Don't I need to do the external stuff first. I was thinking about doing the Yoshimura Titanium exhaust system, K&N filter and rejetting as big as I possibly can, plus putting as many teeth on the front sprocket as I can. Should I do this or go straight to the motor?

Old 07-07-2004, 11:08 PM
Range Rover

i would stick to the external stuff first, pipe, jetts, cam, carb, and then when work on the inside

Old 07-07-2004, 11:19 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pipe, filter, cam and springs, std bore piston, headwork.

BTW, you do have to get into the engine for the cam, springs, piston, and headwork. If you plan on someone else doing all of this, you might have to drop a thing or two off the list for labor costs.

Old 07-08-2004, 12:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I would put a 14 tooth on the front. $10

Get a good pipe...Sparks or Alba with a k&n filter and jet's. $600

Then have call Craycraft about some possible internal mod's to get the HP up. Bob can set you up if you are on a budget. He could probaly even set you up with a good stock bore piston, cam, port combo. If you don't want to get into the motor, then look for a set of 35mm FCR carb's, and maybe a Stage 1 Cam to go with your other mod's.

Old 07-08-2004, 03:27 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad that you like your alba, my experiences with them have not been positive.

You dont have to send your engine into craycraft, sparks, trinity, powroll, or any other major shop to be fast. Find someone who does good work near you and bypass the waiting lists, long turnaround times, and shipping costs. If one of these shops is reasonably close, then its something to consider, but not necessary by any means.

I think that 35mm FCR's will not be a cost effective upgrade. They have great low and midrange but bored stock carbs out perform them uptop and unless you are really digging into the engine you wont need the extra fuel supply. 900 bucks is a lot for carbs if you are on a 1500 dollar budget, I'd look for hp elsewhere.

Old 07-08-2004, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

DO UR BOLT-ONs...

UM Aluminum Airbox with Proflow K&N I find this to be great...179 for the airbox 60 for the filter and 10 for an outterwear...ALL from RMATV.com

Get a good PIPE...Yoshi Comp COMPLETE for under 400 also at RMATV.com

JET IT...MORE AIR MORE FUEL MORE AIR MORE FUEL...by this time the raptor is really breathin better so it will need jetted, they also have a DYNOJet Kit for 60...

Hope this helps, just a few suggestions...

-bLuRRRR27-

Old 07-08-2004, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider

For 1500 I'd say the best money spent on speed is:
1st - Pipe, Jetting, Proflow Filter setup w/ K&N that will sink you for about $600 give or, take a few. You can find package deals in the ATV mags for Yoshimura combo's all day for this. The Titanium pipe is a waste of $ to save 2-3 pounds!

2nd - get your head ported. It runs around 400 and, with the left over money you could have a shop take your head off and, have it shipped out (if you aren't sure) and, have them adjust the valves while you have it there. You may even have some $ left for the new grab bar you'll need now that you can't keep the front end down! lol

I'm a little partial since i got such great gains from my builder BUT, Kenz Cycle Tech does excellent portwork on Raptor heads and, achieves some serious improvement! If your in a rush i believe he has heads already ported and, tested waiting to be swaped to minimize down time! Give em a call! (480)962-1714

Old 07-08-2004, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: maddog56
You dont have to send your engine into craycraft, sparks, trinity, powroll, or any other major shop to be fast. Find someone who does good work near you and bypass the waiting lists, long turnaround times, and shipping costs. If one of these shops is reasonably close, then its something to consider, but not necessary by any means.
Very bad advice. Not everyone with a die grinder is qualified to port a Raptor head. Do a search, there have been a couple of "small shop" horror stories posted. For the cost of shipping, I would not let "no name" shop touch my stuff.

Sparks X6 exhaust - $400
K&N air filter w/no lid - $150
Head porting (Craycraft is my choice) - $500 w/shipping
Cometic head gasket - $50
Kibblewhite valve springs - $150
Stage 2 Hotcam - $150

You may or may not change the front sprocket, depends on your tire height and how far you're racing. You should be able to beat the YFZ with those mods, the Banshee might be tougher. Make sure you drag the Banshee on dirt, they're hell on pavement.

Don't take it to the stealership unless you've never had an engine apart, your $$ won't go very far. Maybe you could ask around and find a buddy to help you with the head?

Quick Reply: Need help on Raptor modifications