Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

banshee or raptor

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 08:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default banshee or raptor

i cant decided what i want to get a rappt or a shee? i ride trails to get to sand pits. i also jump 5-8 feet what is the differances in speed and HP? i am 5'11" 150 pounds wich quad would suit my overall needs the best

i have a blaster right now but thats just small slow and to under powerd.

tahnks for the help guys

Old 07-08-2004, 08:51 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

for Maine riding,,,I would say,,,,raptor

Old 07-08-2004, 08:53 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

or maybe a Z400

Old 07-08-2004, 11:02 PM
Trailblazer

is the z400 auto or manual

Old 07-09-2004, 12:23 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the z is a manual

Old 07-09-2004, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider

I own a raptor right now. I have owned a shee. i think the fastest in stock form is the raptor. hands down on performance/ shocks.. the raptor handles ten times better on the ground and in the air in my opinion. when it comes to mantenance the shee is behind times. it still has the old screw on lid design, when changing the air filter,old design on tightening the chain as well ,,,,,,,,the raptor has reverse which is always needed in the woods. esp when a long day of riding when the bike weighs an extra 100lbs covered in mud......

i could say more but you would think im a salesman.
the only down fall with the raptor...it needed a after market rear skid plate,,,,,,the tires are pretty good on a stock one also my 2 cents

Old 07-09-2004, 01:49 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: themadwarriorrider
I own a raptor right now. I have owned a shee. i think the fastest in stock form is the raptor. hands down on performance/ shocks.. the raptor handles ten times better on the ground and in the air in my opinion. when it comes to mantenance the shee is behind times. it still has the old screw on lid design, when changing the air filter,old design on tightening the chain as well ,,,,,,,,the raptor has reverse which is always needed in the woods. esp when a long day of riding when the bike weighs an extra 100lbs covered in mud......

i could say more but you would think im a salesman.
the only down fall with the raptor...it needed a after market rear skid plate,,,,,,the tires are pretty good on a stock one also my 2 cents
Classic shee bashing. Although it was probably just what you heard, it wasnt intentional right? Anyway, I own a shee right now and have access to a rap (dad's) and for top speed they're almost exactly the same, but the shee has the arm-ripping acceleration that the raptor lacks. If you love your blaster and just want more power get the shee, its basically a more stable, faster, more powerful, better performing blaster. If you feel comfortable on the blaster in the trails you ride I see no problem with the same trails on a shee, if you can ride a blaster slow you can ride a shee slow, its all clutch work. The clutch itself will tire you out a lot faster and its very claustrophobic so tight corners are going to be a pain. If you like the powerband of a 2-stroke then the decision is obvious. I used to ride 4-strokes but after the blaster and the shee, im never going back, 4's are just not my thing. So if you have that going on at all then stick to the 2's. If you want the low end torque of a 4 on the other hand, then go for the rap. They do handle a bit better and have better performance suspension but they sit taller and to me feel less stable at high speeds (could be just me). Raps are more prone to 2 wheeling, some think of it as an advantage, i know i do, i can barely ever 2 wheel the shee, conditions have to be perfect. I can take or leave the reverse, but will always sacrifice it for another forward gear, lol. The filter design is "behind times" i suppose, but rarely do people keep a shee stock for long, (yes mines stock but as i said, not for long [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]) Aside from the chain adjustment procedure on the shee I cant think of any major design flaws or "maintenance issues," I have never felt like it was too much work to keep it running, and (our) raptor has been more of a pain-in-the-@$$ than the shee, which has had none. I'm not against raptors, I just prefer banshees and if you prefer 2 strokes then get a shee, if you want reverse, better handling and suspension, adequate accel and top speed, slightly cheaper modding options (to a point) and a 4-stroke, go with a raptor.

Now thats a salesman [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-09-2004, 01:31 PM
Trailblazer

i love my blaster right now.... so what jonnysplat siad is making me lean torwards the shee. so if i ride a blaster in the woods i cant probly ride a shee in the woods also i heard it is very hard to ride a wheelie on a banshee becasuse of its unpredictable powerband i love the 2 stroke power i need more input keep them comeing guys

Old 07-09-2004, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

I would also look at newer models with newer technology implied....

predator, DS, honda 450...all might have some new technology that might make them better in terms of the future

I like my raptor...tho....fits good but I am a larger rider at 6'3" and 220 lbs

banshhe is like 10-20 year old technology ....right????

Old 07-09-2004, 03:22 PM
Range Rover

The banshee engine is 20 years old it came from this motorcycle.

http://www.apriliars250.altervista.o.../RZ350%201.jpg

Quick Reply: banshee or raptor