Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly Parking Brake

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 11:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly Parking Brake

Just for anyone that may not have thought about this. The Grizz has its "Park" feature, but of course lacks an actual lever lock like most quads have. I got sick of having to put the transmission in park any time I was on an incline and had to get off the thing for a minute or two. The brake assembly however, has the mounting hole and the small raised piece in place to accomodate a regular yamaha style brake lock tab.

About a year or two ago, I went to the dealer and ordered the brake lock for a Big Bear (like $4-5 or something), and mounted it on the Grizzly. Fits just like stock, works just like any other, and for little cost gives you both a brake lever lock and a Park feature.

just a tip to pass along

Old 07-10-2004, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

Don't use the lever lock for long periods of time. It is hard on hydraulic brakes to be applied all the time and can cause premature failure of the caliperand master cylinder.

Old 07-11-2004, 12:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

yeah, thats pretty much what the park feature is for man

Old 07-13-2004, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider

Nice tip, is it safe to assume it works on the Kodiak 450 also?

Old 07-14-2004, 01:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I would imagine so. You can look at the brake lever and tell if it would accommodate the tab or not. The one on my 02 Grizz was the same thing they use on the manuals, so it just bolted right on.

Old 07-14-2004, 01:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

And about that hard on the caliper thing up there, how do you expect any quad without a park feature (applies to 95% of all quads ever made) to hold itself on a hill. Some like to say brake lever lock or whatever- Its a parking brake. Always has been. From when it was a cable operated drum til it became hydraulic discs. I can see where leaving the thing on while you let your quad sit in a garage could aggrivate it, but I don't think parking it for a while with the brake on is going to kill it. No trouble with a hydraulic parking brake out of my AC500 the 3 years I had it. And it was linked to front and rear both.

Old 07-14-2004, 08:56 AM
Pro Rider

Hey I am only repeating what I have heard. If your getting off the bike what is so hard about putting it in park anways ?? I guess I don't see the difference in using park or the brake unless your parking on a hill which I can't see either. Maybe you get on and off more than I do and find it is needed so t each their own. I personally don't have a need for it , But if it works for you that's great. I guess I have never got off on an incline before, But after thinking about it if it is anything like a car it may be hard to get it to shift out of park on an incline. Is that why you added the brake lever ??