Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee Steering Click!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 04:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banshee Steering Click!

Got on my shee yesterday and was about to start it up, luckily I was bored and started looking around, making sure everything was ship-shape, and noticed that it wasnt! 2 things, one, when I steer right to left there is a bit of play in the steering (wasnt like that last time I rode) and it makes a clicking sound and there is a little click that you can feel in the handlebars as well. I briefly looked at it and it sounds like its coming from somewhere in the area of the bottom of the steering stem, I dont know if its the stem itself or if its the tie rods. Second problem, when you rock it side to side in the back, there is a metal-to-metal knocking sound like something is a little loose and slides back and forth when you shake it. I didnt put in a lot of time on this either yet, I had more important things to do at the time, but I was curious if you have any ideas what might cause this. The sound seems to come either from the bearing carrier, or slightly to the right (when looking at quad from the rear) near the brake rotor.

Old 07-12-2004, 08:04 AM
Pro Rider

The front end noise sounds like tie rod ends. The rear sounds like either the axle nut is loose, the chain adjusters are loose, or a wheel hub is loose. Good luck!

Old 07-12-2004, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

Thx, I had a feeling it was something like that. I have been putting off the full bike check, (take a screwdriver, socket and wrench set and go over EVERY last screw, nut, and bolt on the thing to make sure its all still tight. And adjust brakes, clutch, and the chain.) but I think this is a wake up call to do that. Anyway thanks for the help and if I have any more problems I'll post again.