Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Am I crazy????

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2000 | 02:45 AM
|
Pro Rider

Alright I am down stairs working on turning my front wheels on my warrior inside out.Well I can't get them to turn around dure to valve stem to caliper clearence problems.Well I get a bucket of washers and use them as spacers.I still couldn't get the valve stem to clear so I put 4 washers on each stud and put the wheel on the right way.It looks as the washers aded about a 1/2 of width.I was wondering if U guys think this is a good idea or not????

Old 08-12-2000 | 08:41 AM
Pro Rider

Myself I've never been a fan of half-*** shortcuts. Don't do it.

Old 08-12-2000 | 10:03 AM
Trailblazer

i wouldnt do it. it just doesnt sound good. i mean, its probably not safe at all. yes, its a good idea, but even if u do leave it, u can put to much presure on the washers causing them to bend, squeeze together or brake. and that would really suck while riding.
Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-12-2000 | 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

if you are totally stuck on doing it.

There is a better way.

Take the old valve stem, turn it around backwards and stick it back in the hole, then put silicone in the hole.

Then go on the new outside and drill another hole, install a new stem the regular way

Then you have the other hole plugged and a new valve where it should be.

Not hard to do at all. And better than washers!

Old 08-12-2000 | 02:14 PM
|
Pro Rider

well the reason I was going to do this in the first place is beacause the outside of the wheels are all dinged up and look like junk.I was going to turn all 4 wheels inside out so they wouldn't be dinged up.then the washers idea came and i thought that might make it wider so why not.

Old 08-13-2000 | 01:14 PM
Pro Rider

To answer your question. YES! You are crazy. That's about the worst idea I have ever read on here. Don't do it!!! Also, the offset won't be right and will put more strain on your front spindles and bearings and leave you break disk, caliper, etc exposed.

The second worst idea I have seen here was from 94DGblaster. First of all, silicon won't seal up the original valve stem hole. These are tubeless tires, the silicon will pop out before you get 2 PSI of air in there. Second, you will not likely get a good enough hole on the new valve stem hole to seal well. You could put in tubes but this still a lame idea; it would look funny with part of the tube sticking out of the hole.

Old 08-14-2000 | 11:24 AM
Trailblazer

I agree with Wyoryder, you are crazy!!!

Old 08-14-2000 | 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

I think what blaster was saying was to take the valve stem out.... then put it back in so that the valve is on the inside of the tire...silicon just to make sure that it is sealed..... that does work... and is a easy way to seal the hole.... then just drill a new hole on the other side and put a new valve stem in it. As far as turning the wheels around... alot of people do it.... but not with washers, that would be very dangerous in my opinion. with the wheels turned around you will increase the strain on the spindles and bearing though.

Old 08-14-2000 | 01:36 PM
Pro Rider

what part of put the stem back in inside out don't you understand?

The silcone is to keep water or whatever from getting in the inside of the backwards stem!

Old 08-14-2000 | 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

Aaron,

Oh, OK I understand what you were saying now. My mistake. Now it is only the third most stupid idea I have ever heard. My most sincere apologies.

Quick Reply: Am I crazy????