Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Rptor tranny upshifting stiff!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rptor tranny upshifting stiff!!!!

Does anybody know why my '03 Raptor tranny is a little stiff on the upshift???

75 hours on it, and It shifts up and down thru the gears OK but the upshiftingseems to take a little more effort than I remember...My son told me yesterday, down at Pismo Beach, that the thing was a little hard to shift......

I have not unloaded it of the trailer yet, and prabably will put it up on a stand tonight and try to diagnose the thing.

But does anybody have any ideas???

Old 07-26-2004, 12:55 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Old oil? Is the shifter bent...causing the shifting operation too be disrupted. You can take the clutch cover and clutch basket off too visually inspect the shift fork. The clutch cover is a bear too get on and off. If you take the bolts out and get the cover loose, you can rotate the front of the cover straight up while moving the rear about midways the clutch basket too get it off. Just roll the cover off, straight up, while holding the brake lever completely down. Shift forks / gears is the next thing too check.
Gary

Old 07-26-2004, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

I would check the shifter linkage. Yamaha did a real cheesmo job with the linkage there, make sure nothing is bent or in some way messed up. It could be the shift forks, but with only 75 hours on it is unlikely. Also if the shifter is somehow tweaked sideways, it may be somewhat more difficult to shift

Old 07-26-2004, 01:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: XxDumontRaptorxX
It could be the shift forks, but with only 75 hours on it is unlikely.
Young riders are sometimes very hard on the shifter...not realizing that the parts associated with the shifter are not bulletproof.

Old 07-26-2004, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

My brother just bought an 04 and he can't find nuetral.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 07-26-2004, 01:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: garyc660R
Old oil? Is the shifter bent...causing the shifting operation too be disrupted. You can take the clutch cover and clutch basket off too visually inspect the shift fork. The clutch cover is a bear too get on and off. If you take the bolts out and get the cover loose, you can rotate the front of the cover straight up while moving the rear about midways the clutch basket too get it off. Just roll the cover off, straight up, while holding the brake lever completely down. Shift forks / gears is the next thing too check.
Gary
If you havent changed the Oil lately I would suggest that. Also, use Yamalube, I have found that if you change brands, shifting and finding neutral is a pain in the ****!. Also, inspect the shift linkage as stated. Mine is doing the same thing right now but I also added a direct shifter (ProDesign) and it does not let you lower the shifter to get a better lift on it. My IMS direct shifter on my other Raptor works fine.

Old 07-26-2004, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider

You know, I just changed oil and filter before this ride. I thought though, that I used the same oil (not Yamalube) I used for the last change.....so I would be pretty surprised if it turned out to be oil related......I've never heard of this happening due to OIL.

I was sort of thinking it could be sand or rust on the shifter pivot pin.....maybe........, or something in the linkage.......

My son, although 18, is pretty easy on the equipment......with the exception that he tends to lug it more than rev it.....

But, I'll put it on the stand after I get home from work tonight. And check it out.....

Old 07-26-2004, 04:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BUDXXX
You know, I just changed oil and filter before this ride. I thought though, that I used the same oil (not Yamalube) I used for the last change.....so I would be pretty surprised if it turned out to be oil related......I've never heard of this happening due to OIL.

I was sort of thinking it could be sand or rust on the shifter pivot pin.....maybe........, or something in the linkage.......

My son, although 18, is pretty easy on the equipment......with the exception that he tends to lug it more than rev it.....

But, I'll put it on the stand after I get home from work tonight. And check it out.....
I switched oil before and used two well known brands that my builder uses and both of them made the shifting harder. I went back to Yamalube and it works like new again. I didnt believe it either until I switched back and what a surprise that was.

Old 07-27-2004, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

Well, I cdidn't have time to do any investigation last night, so I could not really make any changes.

But I did find out that I Used Yamalube on the previous oil/filter change, and I just put in Motul before this last ride, when the problem was first noticed......

Hmmmmmmm! Did I just hear the school bell??? Did I just learn something here?????

I'll change that oil and filter again and use Yamalube and we shall see........HmmmmmmMM!!