Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

CFM airbox on a wolvey

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 06:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CFM airbox on a wolvey

Anyone ever try one of these? How much difference did it make? I see them on ebay and was wondering if they are worth the $$ Looking for more low end grunt out of this thing.

Old 07-26-2004, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

I have one and its pretty nice. My FST high flow intake fits up to it perfect. As far ashow much power. I have no idea, I put all of these mods on at once. It will definetly let it breath better though.

Old 07-26-2004, 09:43 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the response.

Old 02-24-2005, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

I decided to revive this old thread instead of starting a new one.

I just installed a CFM airbox on my bike. I went with a UNI clamp on filter. It is a well made product. It bolted up with no problems and the stock hose and intake fit perfect. I did have to rotate the intake on the carb. Like SpdDemon said it gives a huge air flow increase even with the lid in place. I'm going to have to re-jet my bike to get in running right. (I can feel some increase in power with the stock jetting but it is definitely running lean) I'll post an update after I get the carb dialed in.

Old 02-24-2005, 09:18 PM
Trailblazer

Is the lid on that thing pretty much open? It looks like it or is there a snorkle on it? I guess you could only go through water that was up to your seat then right? Do you for see any problems that way? I want more power but I don't want to cause other problems.

Old 02-25-2005, 03:25 AM
Pro Rider

Yes the lid is pretty much open. It does not utilize the factory snorkle. If you are riding in deep water, this is not for you. I don't care much about crossing water that deep myself.

Old 02-25-2005, 12:23 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info. Let me know how much difference it makes when you get it jetted. I might have to invest in one if it is worth while.

Old 02-26-2005, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider

I spoke with a CFM rep today concerning jetting. He did not think a jetting change was necessary if the airbox was your only mod. I have my baffle removed but that is it (other than a torque stuffer). It runs noticeable better with the airbox mod but it is running a bit lean. I richened up the pilot screw on my bike today. Until then it was not starting as easy as it did with the stock box. The pilot screw adjustment fixed that problem. I bought 3 main jets to try and dial it in. I have not had a chance to do this yet.

The CFM rep told me about a test they did with a wolverine and their airbox. They took 2 bone stock wolverines and put the airbox on one of them. They did not re-jet it. They raced the two bike 100yds. The wolverine with the CFM box beat the stock wolverine by 3 to 5 bike lengths. That's pretty impressive! I don't doubt it either judging from the feel of my bike.

I'll post a follow up when I get the main jet changed.

Old 02-26-2005, 12:11 PM
Trailblazer

Looking forward to the update Mad

Old 03-10-2005, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

I went with a 145 main jet. I left the needle position stock and kept the stock pilot jet. I am about 2 turns out on the pilot screw. It runs great. I'll do a plug chop test to see what the plug thinks but I'm betting it is close. It gave a nice increase in power. There are no flat spots and no adverse affects at any throttle position.

I think the bleed over from the main jet gives just enough gas to balance out the mid range. The adjustment to the pilot screw did the trick on the bottom end.

Now I just need to find someone with a stock wolverine to see how much the mods helped.

Jason