Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Is the 05 Predator really pushing 50HP???

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the 05 Predator really pushing 50HP???

I don't know why everyone thinks that a C'Dale is faster than a Rap...someone quoted 8 bike lengths!?

I'll be the first to admit that my STOCK Speed is slower than a STOCK Raptor. It seems that there are very few on this board that admit to being beaten. It's funny how nobody here has ever lost a race...LOL.

We need to have one big drag-off where ALL the members come and race so nobody can say nuthin! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-28-2004, 01:24 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I would takea polaris predator over a c-dale 7 days a week. The polaris is the lesser of 2 evils. lol[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Reliability is always cited as a downfall for polaris. ( i know they are improving on a yearly basis) but canondale wrote the book on how to make a quad not run, fall apart. I managed to break a c-dale on a short easy test ride on a local mx track. C-dale recomends on page 7 of the owners manual, paragraph 3, sub A "Canondale recomends that no one ride more than 20 feet with out a tow rope" And paragraph 5 says "after cannondale is towed back to camp/base DO NOT hang your self with said tow rope no matter how many times said quad fails to run"

I do like the fact that polaris is willing to do more than "bold new graphics ever year for changes"

Old 07-28-2004, 02:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: maddog56
Is there a perfomance difference between the two? I was under the impression that it was mostly cosmetic with a few minor, non performance oriented upgrades.
The new TLD comes with alot more then the standard predator.
Close ratio trans,front rezzies,razr radials there is a few more differences.

As for weight yeah yamaha says the YFZ is 350 dry whats the wet weight that it what counts anyway how about the raptor.. hush hush we cant say the true weight,,,

As for a quad, i rather buy from a company that supports the great country so many have died for and STANDS behind there products,, yamaha runs from you guys and you still keep coming back, i wonder if there is a mental block somewhere.
and don't start this Predator owner gone mad crap because i own more then a predator, i also have a Suzuki and a Yamaha.

Old 07-28-2004, 03:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider

trailrider- you only feel proud american 33 percent of the time[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-28-2004, 08:21 AM
Pro Rider

Who cares!!!!!!

Take a look at the GNC series.....what bikes are finishing in the top 10 week in and week out!
If that doesnt answer your questions...then I dont know!
besides 449cc is the max specifications. Who cares about the rest, they are all recreational machines!
Big heavy machines dont stand a chance against the smaller, well tuned 400 class race machines.
What is stock anyway......Who gives a ****!

Old 07-28-2004, 09:32 AM
Pro Rider

You guys need to read a lil better when deciding to post a reply....

1. I said the z400 at the track was piped and jetted. (an FMF pipe to be exact.)

2. I NEVER said anything about a c-dale beating the Raptor at the track. However, the c-dale cannibal that my buddy rides does beat the raptor that his brother rides. (both stock, 300ft race)

3. It was the PIPED and JETTED z400 that beat the Raptor in the 1/4 mile race, and that was by about 8 lengths

All of my races that I have won are around 300ft, some pavement, some dirt. There's just not a lot of open room around here to race besides the drag strip. Do I have the fastest quad around? he!! no... It is quick... and I do know how to ride it in a straight line. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

wanted to race a TRX this weekend, but he said he didn't want to, but commented that he'd raced a yfz before and that they're he!!a fast...

Old 07-28-2004, 09:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I realize this is not the same thing, but it is the next closest step. In Iowa we have a new series for harescrambles, and it is tough competition, and tough courses. We have a guy from Nicholas Cycle Racing who is currently in the points chase(I think he is in 3rd or 4th), and he is in the highest class(A class). So the pred can do good, if you ride right, and make them go. They can be ran in the gncc, can't they.....surely the pred isn't a true 500cc is it? I thought it was something like 499 or 498cc. Either way, you can get a 450 kit for the pred too.

Reverse only added 3 lbs on the pred, so they have dropped weight somewhere else too. And for the weight issue, I am with tr500.....and the pred can easily drop 20lbs(I have did it and weighed it), by loosing the heelgaurds, and rear fender mounts.....and if you change tires, that would help too. Weight can easily be dropped off the pred.

Old 07-28-2004, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: Hebs

3. It was the PIPED and JETTED z400 that beat the Raptor in the 1/4 mile race, and that was by about 8 lengths

A Piped and Jetted z400 wont be a Raptor in a 1/4 mile by 8 lengths unless the Raptor rider didnt know what the he11 he was doing. I Race one all the time with a Yoshi Full System and he always gets me off the line but when I hit 3rd Its over. We even switch bikes and the same results.

Old 07-28-2004, 12:01 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: trailrider500
Originally posted by: maddog56
Is there a perfomance difference between the two? I was under the impression that it was mostly cosmetic with a few minor, non performance oriented upgrades.
The new TLD comes with alot more then the standard predator.
Close ratio trans,front rezzies,razr radials there is a few more differences.

As for weight yeah yamaha says the YFZ is 350 dry whats the wet weight that it what counts anyway how about the raptor.. hush hush we cant say the true weight,,,

As for a quad, i rather buy from a company that supports the great country so many have died for and STANDS behind there products,, yamaha runs from you guys and you still keep coming back, i wonder if there is a mental block somewhere.
and don't start this Predator owner go mad crap because i own more then a predator, i also have a Suzuki and a Yamaha.
So the only real difference is the trans gears. Everything else is a bolt on that they throw in, like on the ds baja x. Thats cool that polaris offers a choice like that. All the yamaha and suzuki owners get on their "limited Edition" quads is different paint and plastic colors.

Dont give us the story about supporting America. The predator engine is build in japan, along with half of the rest of the parts that are put on it.

Old 07-28-2004, 12:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 14mins
trailrider- you only feel proud american 33 percent of the time[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

lol

Leave it to Mark to do the math[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I try to tell these guys it shouldn't matter what you ride, all that should matter is if you ride at all. We all have 2 things in common we ride and we don't like tree huggers...

Quick Reply: Is the 05 Predator really pushing 50HP???