Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curtis Sparks Exhaust System

Originally posted by: maddog56
Originally posted by: Raptor660Fam
Originally posted by: maddog56

IMO, The CT is just as good if not better. And you have the disks on back to change out to lower the noise level if you need / want to. Makes just as much or more power too.
I've owned the CT before and it was ok until I bought carbs, then I had to cut and rework it due to the CT pipe being too high up, it is very heavy as well. We have three sparks pipes, they were cheaper, lighter, and we didn't have to cut them up for FCR's. doubt your quote on the making more power too...
According to dyno tests that I have seen sheets from (and no, not dw) the ct came very close to its 14hp peak increase claim. There was not a sparks sheet from that dyno.

As far as the fcr's, ct knows that they dont fit with their pipe, but you can request a different headpipe for use with the fcr's. If you know you are going to be getting them, you should just buy the different headpipe. They knew this when I got my ct a few years back.

The ct is 1.5 pounds heavier than the 10 pound sparks. I will bet that the disc setup has a an impact as the canister is rather heavy.

Sparks sells their raptor pipes for 549 with arrestor, thats assuming you can get one. CT sells its complete pipe with 16 discs and pilot and main jets for $508.
we've held the two side by side and i guarantee the ct is about 5lbs heavier and it had no disks.
I paid 489 for my sparks pipe with the larger diameter core??? and I paid about 550 for the CT back three years ago with no needles or jets???
the CT is a decent pipe for a stock bike but for a high performance engine sparks is the way to go, and thunderally has a good setup as well.

Old 08-05-2004, 09:56 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well check out the prices on the respective websites, I guarantee they match what I've said. CT is cheaper and you get the jets for 509. Sparks is 489 w/ no arrestor. Fine for drag racers, but not for riders in a non-competition setting. The price I quoted (549), is for a sparks w/ arrestor.

Dirtwheels weighed the ct in at 11.5, 10 for sparks. I havent seen this comparison anywhere else. It is heavier, but not that much. I havent held the sparks in hand, but I weighed my ct in at 12 pounds on the scale before I installed it. Thats with 16 discs, endcap, canister, headers, springs, and flanges.

Old 08-05-2004, 11:24 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Ya'll, I appreciate your input on all this for me...I went back in and talked some more. I felt pretty good with the deal I made and went ahead with it. I got an 05' Wolverine for my wife and I am picking up my 05' Raptor with everything installed tomorrow. They gave me a good trade in price for the peice of trash Lakota Sport I had, so it made it alot easier to take the deal they made me...

I do have another question though...how about oil? These people are telling me that I can use any vehicle motor oil in these bikes as long as it is 10-40. Anyone heard that too?

Old 08-06-2004, 01:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I do have another question though...how about oil? These people are telling me that I can use any vehicle motor oil in these bikes as long as it is 10-40. Anyone heard that too?
NO WAY - You do that and you will have problems. Just stick with the Yamalube and you will be just fine.

Old 08-06-2004, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RaptorChief
Hey Ya'll, I appreciate your input on all this for me...I went back in and talked some more. I felt pretty good with the deal I made and went ahead with it. I got an 05' Wolverine for my wife and I am picking up my 05' Raptor with everything installed tomorrow. They gave me a good trade in price for the peice of trash Lakota Sport I had, so it made it alot easier to take the deal they made me...

You need to read this article.

Old 08-06-2004, 01:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: briansgi
Originally posted by: RaptorChief

You need to read this article.
Bro, that is a great article!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-06-2004, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider

I ran both the Sparks and the Graydon and the Spark power was better all around, The Graydon might have revved alittle faster though. Fit and finish the Sparks wins hands down just a better looking pipe. The only down side to the CT/Graydon is how far is stick back past the grabbar.

Old 08-06-2004, 04:38 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Sparks has a good exhaust, not worth 750 dollars though.

Old 08-06-2004, 06:19 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I have heard of the sparks CRF honda quad pipes breaking. Turns out it is not a manufacturing issue. The cause of the honda pipes breaking is due to rider error. Seems the YFZ450's are lapping the hondas on the mx track and after going more than a lap or 2 down the honda riders try to block the yamaha YFZ's and the push bars on the yamahas are the real reason.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-06-2005, 03:55 AM
Pro Rider

WHats the Price for sparks stainless steel?? whats the difference of teh bigger core and teh regular core

Quick Reply: Curtis Sparks Exhaust System