Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Curtis Sparks Exhaust System

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 12:52 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curtis Sparks Exhaust System

I am getting a Raptor 660, I am planning on getting the exhaust system, K & N Filter and Jet Kit...The dealer is making me an offer of all this installed of $750. That is with the Curtis Sparks exhaust. I was wondering if that is a good deal and has anyone heard about the Curtis Sparks reputation? Anyhelp is good help!

Old 08-05-2004, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider

Sparks is having alot of problems with their exhaust on YFZ's, TRX's and CRF built quads with their pipes breaking right where they go into the silencer. I just had my Sparks exhaust break there on my CRF quad, I have a friend who also has a CRF built quad and has had 2 Sparks exhaust break in the same location. We've also seen several YFZ's break in that location and where the header pipe attaches out of the head. The problem has been so bad that Sparks is now redesigning their exhaust, the new setup now has one spring to help attach the silencer. I've seen the redesign and it looks pretty hokey!! I cannot speak for how their exhaust has been holding up on the Raptor but on these other quads, it's not been good. Keep in mind all of these broken exhausts has been from MX riding which will tend to beat the crap out of anything!

Old 08-05-2004, 02:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

JMO - Its the best pipe out today for the Raptor. I have had several of them and none of them ever broke and as far as I know I have never heard of them breaking on any bike. I am around alot of Sparks bikes and this is the first I have heard. I would probably see if you can get a better deal on that pipe though. I got mine for less than 400.00 and I know the air adaptor, filter and jet kit is no more than 170.00

Old 08-05-2004, 10:34 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with raptorowner...........I've never had a problem with my pipe.......nor have I heard of any other problems.........
I would look around ebay for a while.......sparks pipes pop up on there pretty often......

Old 08-05-2004, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BigScary
I agree with raptorowner...........I've never had a problem with my pipe.......nor have I heard of any other problems.........
I would look around ebay for a while.......sparks pipes pop up on there pretty often......
You guys don't hang around the MX world then!! The Sparks pipe for instance for the YFZ has now been redesigned with one spring attaching the silencer to the tubing. Why do you think they did that, because too many pipes were being sent back broken. I commend Sparks for trying to fix the problem but the fix doesn't look like it will hold up either. I ended up taking mine to a local welder to rewelded it and then he installed 3 angled gussets, hopefully it will not break again!

Old 08-05-2004, 12:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A raptor owner hanging around the mx scene is kind of an oxymoron istnt it?

Sparks has had no problems to my knowledge with build quality on the raptor. Everyone I have spoken to who has owned one loved it, the main complaint was noise level.

IMO, The CT is just as good if not better. And you have the disks on back to change out to lower the noise level if you need / want to. Makes just as much or more power too.

Old 08-05-2004, 02:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: briansgi
Originally posted by: BigScary
You guys don't hang around the MX world then!! The Sparks pipe for instance for the YFZ has now been redesigned with one spring attaching the silencer to the tubing. Why do you think they did that, because too many pipes were being sent back broken. I commend Sparks for trying to fix the problem but the fix doesn't look like it will hold up either. I ended up taking mine to a local welder to rewelded it and then he installed 3 angled gussets, hopefully it will not break again!
Oh, I am sorry, I only hang out at the drag races in the dunes..... Does that count? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-05-2004, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider

u are right.....I seldom go to the MX track......but I have never had a problem with my pipe.......neither has my buddy with his Yfz.....or anybody else I know with sparks for that matter..........

Old 08-05-2004, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: maddog56

IMO, The CT is just as good if not better. And you have the disks on back to change out to lower the noise level if you need / want to. Makes just as much or more power too.
I've owned the CT before and it was ok until I bought carbs, then I had to cut and rework it due to the CT pipe being too high up, it is very heavy as well. We have three sparks pipes, they were cheaper, lighter, and we didn't have to cut them up for FCR's. doubt your quote on the making more power too...

Old 08-05-2004, 06:48 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: Raptor660Fam
Originally posted by: maddog56

I've owned the CT before and it was ok until I bought carbs, then I had to cut and rework it due to the CT pipe being too high up, it is very heavy as well. We have three sparks pipes, they were cheaper, lighter, and we didn't have to cut them up for FCR's. doubt your quote on the making more power too...
According to dyno tests that I have seen sheets from (and no, not dw) the ct came very close to its 14hp peak increase claim. There was not a sparks sheet from that dyno.

As far as the fcr's, ct knows that they dont fit with their pipe, but you can request a different headpipe for use with the fcr's. If you know you are going to be getting them, you should just buy the different headpipe. They knew this when I got my ct a few years back.

The ct is 1.5 pounds heavier than the 10 pound sparks. I will bet that the disc setup has a an impact as the canister is rather heavy.

Sparks sells their raptor pipes for 549 with arrestor, thats assuming you can get one. CT sells its complete pipe with 16 discs and pilot and main jets for $508.

Quick Reply: Curtis Sparks Exhaust System