Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly or Kodiac.....I'm stressed out!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2000, 10:45 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I laid down a few hundred bucks on a Kodiac two weeks ago. Now's the time to pay for the bike and pick it up and I'm thinking real hard about getting a Grizzly instead. The difference in price is only $200.00. My math isn't great but I've figured that out to be about $1.00 for each cc to move up to the Grizzly. I've ridden both, like both, but cannot afford both so I'm left with a very stressful decision to make. What's a man to do? Haven't had much experience on the trail with either so I'm wondering if the extra mass of the Grizz will make it seem like a slug compared to the Kodiac on tight trails. Opinions please.

Old 08-16-2000, 11:14 AM
Range Rover

I don't own either, but the Kodiak would be my choice (especially if I were planning to own the machine for a while) due to the features/technology built into that machine as compared to the Grizz.

Old 08-16-2000, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

I have the grizzly and it is not a slug on the trails, i hit the throttle and it spins for a while, i can whip it around in circles, i think it is a fun machine, but the kodiak has liquid cooling and all disk brakes doesnt it? I love those 600 cc's though

Old 08-16-2000, 01:02 PM
Trailblazer

I have ridden both bikes numerous times and would have to say go with the Kodiak. The grizzly is faster, but thats the only advantage I have seen in it over the Kodiak. The Kodiak I rode performed better in the mud than my buddies Grizzly and almost as well as my Sportsman. Its also a little smaller and more nimble making trail riding easier. The brake system is better on the Kodiak with discs all the way around. Once you took the Griz through a couple of mud holes, you'd have front brakes only. If I were you, I wouldn't be stressed about your decision, you made a good one. Have fun and ride safe.

Old 08-16-2000, 01:15 PM
Range Rover

I would buy the Kodiac...

Old 08-16-2000, 02:46 PM
Trailblazer

like you i had a tough time deciding between the kodiak and grizzly and finally went with the grizzly and have never regretted it. i probably have different reasons for choosing it than you might though. i went with the grizzly because it offered so much more room than the kodiak and i usually have my wife on back. as far as the kodiak outperforming the grizzly in mud, i have never seen it and i mud with a guy on a kodiak all the time and i have my wife on back. the kodiaqk is very peppy and nimble on trails though. when its just him and i he never leaves me on the trails, but that kodiak is a little easier to flick around. you won't be disappointed with either choice.

Old 08-17-2000, 12:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

i own a 98 grizz and a 00 kodiack,the grizz does have plenty of bite but, in tight woods riding its size makes it alittle hard to manuver
and you may have to slide it a bit.The kodiack's
power is more peppy and on tight wooded trails it's size cuts right through plus your legs are'nt
spred as much as on the grizz making the ride more comfortable, liquid cooled,three way disc,
are all a plus,i think the first choice is always the best..goodluck!!!!!

98 grizz
00 kodiack
01 breeze

Old 08-17-2000, 12:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

i own a 98 grizz and a 00 kodiack,the grizz does have plenty of bite but, in tight woods riding its size makes it alittle hard to manuver
and you may have to slide it a bit.The kodiack's
power is more peppy and on tight wooded trails it's size cuts right through plus your legs are'nt
spred as much as on the grizz making the ride more comfortable, liquid cooled,three way disc,
are all a plus,i think the first choice is always the best..goodluck!!!!!

98 grizz
00 kodiack
01 breeze

Old 08-17-2000, 12:29 AM
Trailblazer

They are both excellent machines. You couldn't go wrong with either one. I have a grizzly and love it. My dad has a kodiak and I love that too. My self I guess I would take the grizzly. If you ever want to but big tires (28 inch outlaws or what have you) the grizz is just gonna have more power to turn them. Its faster than the kodiak, can pull more, larger load capacity on racks, and just a bad *** machine. In the kodiaks defense it does handle better and liquid cooling is a definite advantage, but I've never had any overheating problems.

Old 08-17-2000, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider

I used to own a Kodiak, but it was a 99 and it didn't have all the goodies that the 2001 does. I now own a Grizzly, and between the two I like the Griz way better! Its true about the Grizzly being alittle wider. I have had to go around some of the tight spots that I used to make with my Kodiak. But I have never been able to go somewhere with my Kodiak that I could'nt get to with My Grizzly. Actually quite the opposite. The Grizzly has more ground clearence, as well as more power, and has made it through deeper mud and ruts then I could go through with my Kodiak. So if it were up to me, I would buy the Grizzly. But either way you really can't go wrong!

Quick Reply: Grizzly or Kodiac.....I'm stressed out!