Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

nitris

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2000, 05:22 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can you put nitris on a blaster is it only for 2 strokes or can you put it on a four stroke too.
thanks

1987 kawasaki mojave 110
2 1986 trx 125's (both broke)
1990 kawasaki bayou 220

Old 08-16-2000, 05:47 PM
Trailblazer

Do you mean Nitrous as in N2O or nitromethane? First, you need to learn to spell. Second, you better get some money. It will cost you to do it right.

Old 08-16-2000, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

I thought Blasterboy meant citris. Maybe he was looking for a lemon scented Blaster.

Old 08-16-2000, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

Ya know I wasn't going to be the one to bust on Blasters, but you already got that covered!!

Lemon scented Blaster, HAHAHA

Old 08-16-2000, 11:55 PM
Trailblazer

Whoever sent the e-mail to me, IT IS N2O not NO2. It was not my intent to belittle you but it struck me as odd that you were intending to modify a quad to th Nth degree and didn't know how to spell it. I really doubted your sincerity. If you had any chemistry at all Nitrous Oxide, known also as laughing gas, has 2 atoms of nitrogen and only 1 atom of oxygen. NO2 is nitrogen di(meaning 2 boys)oxide. Get it? Look at any hi-perf car mag. You'll see.

If you really want to learn about introducing n2o into a normally aspirated 2 stroke, you need to 1st find out what it is you are going to modify. Does your engine have a forged piston, will the cylinder take the abuse n2o can dish out. Then find someone who already hoed that row. Nitrous can only be used at few second bursts.It burns real hot...real fast. This stuff is serious business. If you run too low of octane fuel or sustain preignition, when you hit the magic button you'll instantly get to meet Jesus. Got to give you credit, good thought, but be wary.

Old 08-17-2000, 03:41 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Talk...Talk...Talk....their everywhere...and even partially informed! How about some pic's of you riding?

Old 08-17-2000, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

What rachel said is right, I must add though, that a straight shot of N2O will probably blow the head gasket right off(literally) you must also realize N2O is only to help burn fuel efficiently, to make extra HP you must add extra fuel at the same time. so if buying look for a system that injects both ( a wet system) Although i see the point in more power, every one wants that. I do not feel that a blaster by any means is a true canidate for N2O. Due to many factors, including and foremost NO WATER COOLING, plus a lack of displacement, Oil injected, and the engine itself would if not break or melt the head or piston probably break the rod, and crank, smoke the clutches, and basically be a hand grenade with you strapped on to it. Keep in mind it has to be a very advanced designed system to allow you to shift, with out over revving when you clutch it. N2O is a bit overkill. Sure it works better in four strokes, but its best left for automotive useage unless you have major $$$$$ on hand to by fuel pumps, ignition, injectors, bottles, solenoids, switches, etc...

Old 08-17-2000, 11:20 PM
Trailblazer

Yamaraptor is dead on. I am pretty sure a turbocharger would work. I'm not too sure about the dynamics of 2-stroke operation but I am sure it will work on a 4-stroke. If the cylinder was not water cooled (though it would be preferable), an intercooler would probably compensate. The only real problem is fuel delivery & compression. Fuel injection works better than carburation because fuel injection uses fuel pressures around 20-30 psi. Carburetion can be anywhere from 2-7 depending on the application. When you're only about 3-4 psi on fuel pressure, vacuum becomes an issue. Turbos work well after 13 in. HG in most cases. To create the necessary vacuum, you gotta pull alot of RPMs. Another issue with a turbo charger (or any other means of forced induction) is the compression ratio. A turbo charger or supercharger operates like an air compressor. A turbo charger uses the velocity of the exhaust gasses to spin a impeller. The impeller causes the air/fuel mixture going into the cylinder to attain higher pressures, velocity, and heat. If you already have a high compression ratio (anything over 8.5 : 1 and you better be careful) and then try to stuff a high velocity fuel charge into an already crampt combustion chamber, it could explode. Premature ignition can occur because of the heat generated by the induction system. Then timing becomes an issue. It's a true science. Very interesting.

Old 08-20-2000, 04:34 PM
Trailblazer

Rachel, when I read your responses all I can say is that I love you. But seriously, what about running alcohol in a Banshee? Could you tell me what the advantages and disadvantages of that would be? I've never seen anyone do it, and I guess there is probably a good reason for that. Thanks.

Old 08-21-2000, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider

OK, I have just one thing to say about all of this. Why spend the money to hop up a blaster? If you want to go faster, get something with a bigger engine. There is NO replacement for displacement. Now I do thoroughly understand turbo and super charges, as well as nitrous, as I have been road racing for several years. I even have a new 99 lightning with a supercharged 5.4 engine sitting at home in the garage. So I feel I can speak intelligently on the subject. Supercharging and turbo charging a quad is possible, but the limitations on a stock quad could be difficult to get around. A turbo charger runs on exhaust gas, and by changing the exhaust on a 2 stroke you extremely modify it's power curve, not to say it can't be done but you're going to have to be one smart puppy to figure out the piping on the exhaust. Supercharging a quad is unheard of as far I as know; getting a pulley off the crank to run a S/C would be a task worthy of the best machine shop. Then you'd have to drop compression, move to forged pistons, copper head gaskets, and a host of other things to make it work. Nitrous Oxide does 2 things; first the nitrous drops the temperature, and drops it dramatically. Less heat = more power, that’s just a rule. Second, the Oxide part of the equation gives the engine more oxygen to burn, but you have to add more gas to burn more oxygen. You still need to keep an oxygen to fuel mix around 14.2:1, this takes a whole extra set of jets to force more gas into the system, which just makes jetting that much more of a pain in the rump. Make it easy; buy a quadzilla 500 or a banshee. Big Bore them, port them, get a better flowing exhaust, run bigger carbs, get your jetting perfect. That’s easy cheap (well relative to the formerly mentioned alternatives) speed. Remember however you get your extra power, you’re going to need to go other things as well. Chains have a habit of breaking, the more horse you have the more often you need to change chains, clutches wear faster, bearings in the motor take more abuse, the frame is tweaked more on full power. It’s fun to go fast, but no matter what get out your checkbook, it’s going to be expensive. I used to burn up a clutch a season, my last clutch lasted 4 weekends, to much power, looking for an upgrade, again!

I haven’t strayed into the 4 stroke talk at all, but I think the new raptor might just be one really nice quad, just have to wait and see. A new cam, some bigger valves, better exhaust and it just might turn into one heck of a screamer. It’s hard to say, but with 660ccs of displacement the possibilities are so there. I just live in a 2 stroke quad world, it’s a lot easier to get more power from a 2-stroke, and the 2-stroke aftermarket is literally running over with products. New quads mean new design and test time, but I’m sure in time you’ll see some screaming raptors.

There’s nothing like riding a wild beast; jump on a 420cc banshee that’s been ported and polished, but hang on, it just might rip your arms out, and be ready to pay to play.

This has all been my $.02.

Brad