Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

*~* GRIPS QUESTION *~*

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *~* GRIPS QUESTION *~*

alright thx guys!!, i got them on successfully with my new renthals [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img], the right side grip was such a pain in the @$$ to get on, it took me like 5 minutes! and i almost tipped my machine over!!

Old 09-10-2004, 09:42 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: ZimRaptor
alright thx guys!!, i got them on successfully with my new renthals [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img], the right side grip was such a pain in the @$$ to get on, it took me like 5 minutes! and i almost tipped my machine over!!
Did you just use grip glue?

Old 09-10-2004, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider

There is an extremely easy solution to this one guys. Use an airhose. You need to poke a small hole in the end of each grip (don't worry, you wont see the hole except when you insert the line). Then use an air hose to inflate the grips and slide them on as if they were greased. Then just lift one edge and the air comes right out. Use renthal glue very sparingly as it is a soft polymer based glue. A thick coating will only allow the glue itself to rip and your grips will rotate.

As far as that electrical tape idea... I can't see how that's going to work. All electrical tape I know of is vinyl based. Vinyl is non reactive vith volatile organic carbons such as petroleum distillates. It shouldn't dissolve in the presence of gas unless it contains some organic components such as natural sap rubber.

Happy Riding.

~HoundDog

Old 09-11-2004, 02:29 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Blksnshn
I tried the grip glue and it lasted about a half hour before the grips started twisting. The best way i have found to put grips on is.
1. wrap a layer of electrical tape around the handle bars where the grips go.
2. Fill the grip up with gas. let it set in there for 15 seconds or so, then dump it out.
3. Slide the grip on, It should slide on very easy.
4. let it set for an hour or so.

The gas melts the tape and the rubber together and makes the grips stick extremely well. In fact I normally have to cut them off when they wear out.
This is true!